Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Happenings...

Several weeks have gone by, what have I been doing since my return from vacation?  Before the euphoria wore off, this was announced by Creating Keepsakes.  I am coming to terms with it still, processing, figuring out a few things.  My initial feelings were that of doom and gloom, but thankfully, things are coming back into focus.

My thoughts go to the editors who lost their jobs.  I feel a tremendous sense of loss and disappointment for them.  Had I not had the chance to meet them and spent time with them in April this year, the whole event would have been more abstract.  As it is, it feels like friends lost their jobs and that's just sadness all around.

I think the most important take-away for those of us who read, subscribe, and contribute to this magazine is that CK Media will continue to publish twelve print special issues each year.  Each one of these print issues will be 132 pages, something we can hold in our hands!
 
As for me, I need to start scrapbooking again. Timing with my vacation and this announcement did put me in a mood of deflation, but I will snap out of it.  This weekend is the annual Scrapfest at the Mall of America. I am neither working nor attending the event, but a dear friend has traveled all the way from New Jersey to Scrapfest.  I saw it as my duty and took her to the October Afternoon warehouse sale happening concurrently with Scrapfest.  The pile of goodies I bought should put me into the scrapbooking mood again soon!

We are headed out to Pine Tree Orchard for lunch and festivities today.  It's appropriate that I post a layout of our last year's outing on this very day.  This is published in the Sept/Oct 2013 issue of the Creating Keepsakes. It was a sketch project where I was required to follow the sketches exactly. With an abundance of photos, this came together super quickly!  I had just received a box of Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L and used their awesome self adhesive photo corners for a few additional details.




Two days ago, when we were looking through my vacation photos of Stanley Park and of the Lumberman's Arch, DH wondered if the tree growing on top was there when we visited 12 years earlier. I took out my album titled Summer 2001 and as I looked through it, I longed to create scrapbooks like that again.  DH said that none of it is publication worthy, but I had captured the entire summer in an album full of memories...  the way PL does today.  Again, if you write it down, it's that much more likely to happen.  So here it is: my goal is to finish a couple of scrapbooks for the Alaskan cruise in the PL fashion. A goal must have a deadline, so by the end of this year, album one must be done.

Writing this post has been therapeutic.  I feel a sense of excitement about my new goal. The weekend is full of promises and fun happenings ahead.  Who knows, I might even dig into my newly acquired Travel Girl!

11 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Love your new goal and it's great to have a goal, Jing-Jing! I hear you about the changes with CK and PC. I pray that they will continue to have PRINT issues since we are all passionate about PAPER, right!? Your darling layout is always inspiring! Keep scrapbooking, girl, as it is good for the body and soul(and run that treadmill--I must)!

alexandra s.m. said...

Sorry to hear about CK.
I cant say that I'm surprised though.
I love you attitude and your goal!
Let's raise our glass to that and thanks for sharing a fabulous double spread...

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Thanks for the info on ck!! That's good to know!! I also feel horrible for those that were let go :( I loveeeeeee your page!! It's gorgeous!!!! :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Really seems like the industry has been hit hard this past year....so many changes for so many companies. It really does make me sad, too. I wish everything could stay the way it was because I hate to see so many folks struggling. We just need to hang in there and maybe get back to our roots a little bit...remember why we all started scrapbooking to begin with. I'm glad you are beginning to feel better and good for you for moving ahead and setting some goals for yourself. That is fabulous. And so is this adorable 2-pager! Gorgeous colors and I LOVE all those photos!

Keri said...

I am missing CK and grieving for those friends who've lost their jobs too...thinking of you while we all process this change, and happy that you were able to achieve such a dream to be on the CK Dream Team, while it lasted! <3

Heather Jacob said...

thanks for sharing this info . your layout is super duper awesome xoxoox

Charlene said...

I am sorry to for the loss of jobs :-( Thanks for sharing and I love your LO!! I wish I was back on the boat!!

Kim said...

I do know how you feel about the magazine world...so so sad...

Aubree said...

I haven't subscribed to any print scrap mags in a while but I must say, when I did, I was so much more inspired to scrap! I looked forward to receiving Te latest issue and diving right into scrapping my own pages. I wonder how this cessation of publication will affect others...will people scrap less bc it is one less source of inspiration? I know there is plenty out there in the internet but I have to go in search of it not the other way around.

Aubree said...

As it is, I am much too busy w my kids activities and getting myself to the gym to do much scrapping myself anyway.

Yun Kelly said...

Firstly, I adore your handle name...clever! And I'm also bummed about CK. I haven't embraced the digital world yet but things are moving in that direction with or without me. That just renews my love of ink to paper! Your work is great.