Friday, August 2, 2013

Wrote It Down and Now It's Happened

In my last blog post, I mentioned the goal setting theory that if you write it down and make it public, it is more likely to happen.  It has in fact happened!  Here is my travel journal in preparation for my upcoming family vacation!

The cover uses Uncharted Waters from Glitz Design. Obviously the nautical theme is too perfect for this travel journal. The die-cut cruise ship and the word "cruise" are both from the Pack Your Bags cartridge.


I chose Fancy Pants' Artist Edition Spiral Brag Book for this album for the following reasons:
  • This book has 12 sections.  It is perfect for 12 months of the year, or in my case, a 10 day vacation plus a couple of extra sections.
  • Each section has 5 sheets + 1 pocket page + 1 acetate page that can fit four 4x6 photos.  I can add to the pages by adding an accordion or more pockets onto the page.  I can subtract pages by removing them from the spiral bound.
  • The sheets of this book are lined on one side (perfect for journaling) and blank on the other side (perfect for more creative layouts or just photos).
Without actual photos and trip materials, it was quite the daunting task.  However, it is really important to get a few pages started to provide some structure.  I know if I just bring a blank journal on my trip, it'd be still blank at the end of the trip.  Since I know where we will be each day, I have the "title" pages for each day stubbed out. On the trip, I plan to write my journaling and leave plenty of spaces for photos.  I will bring some throw away photos of various sizes and put them onto the page and journal around them to save spaces for photos.

My other grand idea is to make a travel journal for both of the kids, but let's get real!  I think I will share mine by giving them a "Kid's Corner" in every section of this journal. The can write a few lines and draw some pictures of what is memorable to them.  I will bring some Mama supplies that are typically vertoben to them to add to the appeal, lol. 

I am very looking forward to this upcoming vacation.  If at the end of it, I would have an almost-complete album that needs just a few photos and some embellies, all the better it will be!

12 comments:

Sandi Clarkson said...

What an awesome idea! Hope you have a great trip!

alexandra s.m. said...

oooohhh.....You're going to love this! I know I love it already!! It'll be so rewarding in the end! Bravo Jing jing!!

Kim said...

thats a cool idea, I am lovin your mix of pattern papers!

Audrey Pettit said...

This is looking fabulous already, and you haven't even left yet! Cannot wait to see the finished album! And enjoy every single moment of your awesome adventure!

Heather Jacob said...

wow this is just fabulous , loving all the color and the elements, full of love and richness xoxo

Deana said...

Awesome book for what sounds like an awesome vacation! Way to go on getting a jump start on the journal!

Virginia L. said...

Aw....look at you, all set to sail! You are going to LOVE this vacation! I love the pre-made pages! I only know that the album will look amazing with your gorgeous DD's photos! We did the Juno helicopter ride...it took some convincing for me (I was the only one that was not up for it), but it sure was amazing ride over the glacier! Have FUN, Jing-Jing!

Courtney K said...

I am trying hard not to be jealous!! One day I will make it onto a cruise to Alaska. I hope you and your family have the best time ever!

Aubree said...

Have a great trip!! Hard to believe our trips are in only two weeks! Can't wait!! Love your idea of taking the journal w you.

Keri said...

I love the idea of giving the kids a "corner" here and there to use & document in the album...I'm going to try that! Enjoy your trip, Jing-Jing, and can't wait to see the trip pics later!

Charlene said...

Why Jing Jing is this journal for me? I just got back from an Alaskin cruise and it was my Birthday! How thughtful of you!!!! lol :-) Just kidding the (for me) part, the rest is true. I LOVE this!!! I need to make one!

Kimberly Kett said...

Very cool! I too am looking forward to seeing it when it's finished :)