Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday Catch Up

Happy Easter! The sun is trying to peak out from behind the clouds and it is having a hard time!  The temperature is not as friendly as it was yesterday but at least the snow continues to melt. 

It's been a couple of weeks since I updated the blog and during that time, I have been working on eating more super foods!  The kids and I watched a documentary Food Matters while DH was away for a Saturday and I've been a little obsessed since then.

Interestingly enough, several years ago when First Born started to show asthmatic symptoms, DH started to research on what could help and many sources he had discovered pointed to the foods we eat.  While we will never know whether what we eat did or did not help her in the end, but he started the family on the path of healthier eating.  I remember him introducing quinoa to the family.  I was simply intrigued by the fact that it rhymes with Chinois.  It must be good!

Fast forward five years and two weeks ago, after watching this documentary, my third in one month, my obsessive personality kicked in and now I'm on a rampage to add superfoods into my diet!  One extremely easy addition is chia seeds.  I add a few teaspoons of this delightful food into my daily Noosa and I have not been hungry before my lunch work out every since!  Second Child loves it with me!  Hurray!

The other thing I am learning to eat is chocolate, the real and dark kind!  After all, how many people have you met that do not like chocolate?  I am one of these people and now I know why I didn't like chocolate!  Most of the chocolates as we know them have so little cacao content that one is basically eating sugar.  This woman is all about savory treats so sugar does nothing for me.

"Unbeknownst" to us, DH has been buying 72% cacao chocolates since 2009 and that stuff I don't mind.  I have moved onto even darker chocolates and eating it to stave off any temptation at work when treats abound.  Here are a couple that I really like: Alter Eco Dark Blackout 85% and Endangered species dark chocolate 88%.  I can honestly tell you that three years ago I thought the 88% cacao content chocolate was inedible, but now I eat it because it is a super food!  That and I sound more normal to people when I say "Oh yes, I eat chocolate too!"  One square of the Endangered species dark chocolate was consumed in writing this post.  I feel antioxidated! LOL. 

On the scrapbooking front, I will share this layout that's published in the most recent CK magazine.  My picture here was taken before everything was glued down.  Technically, it is as seen in the magazine only this version is a little more crooked.  Like I said earlier, the sun is trying to come out and spring is coming soon (we've been saying that for weeks).  We (DH) are anxious to get planting started!  There's no food so super than the ones grown in our own garden!
As seen in March/April 2013 issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine. Copyright Creative Crafts Group. Posted with prior permission from the publisher.

Lastly, tonight is the long awaited premier of Season 3. I can't wait to see how book three part first half is interpreted by the production!  Epic!

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Such a cute page!! I love dark chocolate. Not too dark though because I find it too bitter. Around 70%. A scrappy friend of mine from Wales sent me some Green & Black's Organic chocolate. YUM! I was finding it here in the cities for awhile, but lately it's getting harder to find. It is COLD!! I miss the weather from Friday and Saturday. Hope the girls' enjoyed their spring break. Mine did. Back to school tomorrow. Can't believe only 6 weeks left (with a day added on for the extra snow day. :( )

Angi Barrs said...

I really need to watch this documentary. I've been trying to eat healthy! Love your fabulous page too!

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing the food matters info...lovin the chevron pattern in the layout!

Heather Jacob said...

love your work xoxo

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Fab layout!!! I actually am not a huge chocolate fan and can totally live without it!!! I prefer dark chocolate too! :D

Deana said...

Amen on the food stuff. I totally believe it plays a role in how we feel & function... asthma... etc. And I've been on the 72%+ dark chocolate band wagon for a few years now. I keep telling myself it's for antioxidant purposes, but I'm quite sure it's an addiction by now. Add it to the list of my other addictions, I suppose! LOL Love the cute page... the chevron pattern rocks! :-)

alexandra s.m. said...

What a great post Jing Jing!
J'aime toujours apprendre ce qui se passe dans ta vie!
et ta page est superbe ;-)

Alice Wertz said...

you have me intrigued. have to check out the documentary. =) beautiful page as always. love the chevrons. i can't wait for spring to get to you so that we can hear your gardening stories! =) and yes, the weekends can't come fast enough for the new episodes!!

Charlene said...

What a cute page!!!!

Keri said...

My favorite line from this post is: "I feel antioxidated" :) Gonna have to copy that one.
Loved the season premiere, glad it's the weekend again, whoo hoo!
Lastly, such a cute CK layout...love how they are helping each other with the big ol' gardening bucket!

Nathalie said...

I love the cut out chevrons on your double page. It balances the linear design perfectly. Dark chocolate is consumed daily here so I should be pretty antioxidated too! I had to look up the Noosa link to find out what it was though... now I am curious to try it ;)

Christie Bryant said...

Go SUPER FOODS! Thanks for sharing the info. You're darling!
I love the layout, you're right about the best super food coming from our own gardens.
XOXO

Audrey Pettit said...

Good for you about the healthy food kick! I tell myself I need to look into this more for my little fam...
Fabulous 2 page layout, too! Loving all those zig-zag strips at the bottom!