Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sledding, Skiing, Snowing, and Snake

In the thick of winter, we are waiting for our own snowmagedon of the month.  Not expecting three feet of snow like the East Coast but it is clipping away heavily right now!

There can be moments of levity and enjoyment in the dead of winter and I have found my limit in terms of winter fun yesterday.  I went skiing for the first and last time in my life.  If it seems drastic to say "last time," let me amend my statement by saying that should I be given the choice of passing another kidney stone or go skiing, I would gladly go skiing again.  The worst part was that I had to miss my favorite group exercise class for it. Every skier who passed by reminded me how I too could have been having fun and burning calories!  In the end, (by "end" I mean, 1/3 way through the course) I had to take them off and drag them all the way back.  The humiliation was both utter and complete!

Let me remind myself of good times in the snow and cold.  I think after today's snow, a sledding event could be in our future soon.  These photos were from last year and I did this page in July using the then just released WRMK's "Down the Boardwalk" collection, summer papers for a winter page!  This was my first project as a CK Dream Team member. We were asked to do a page of using the "scrapalete" theme.  I thought "spinning" would be a good idea even though I've never done it in my life. If I were to guess, I probably wouldn't pronounce against spinning as harshly as I have against skiing!

As seen in Jan/Feb 2013 issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine. Copyright Creative Crafts Group. Posted with prior permission from the publisher.




 
Here are a couple of close-up photos of this layout. The spinner is a cut from the Silhouette store.  Wow, there are just so many great ways to make your own fun embellishment with a cutting tool!  I really love it!

The horizontal photo show some of the subtle rubons I used on the layout.  I should mention that I didn't mist this page at all, but the droplets you see are printed on the patterned papers!  I encircled the journaling with another cut from the Silhouette store, only I can't find it for the moment.

Today is also Chinese New Year!  Happy prosperous new year of the Snake!!!  灵蛇出洞吐春意;喜鹊登梅报福音!

14 comments:

Michelle said...

It is a fun page!!! I love the spinner. I want to take my kids to Afton to go tubing. It has to be a "warmer" winter day though. I don't like the cold! That being said, I cleaned the driveway off again... Happy Chinese New Year!! Speaking of which, do you have a recipe for chicken chow mein you are willing to share?? Craving Chinese food lately. :)

Nadia Cannizzo said...

Happy Chinese New Year! We had plenty of celebrations and fireworks at a park near where I live :)

Had a laugh at your "love" for skiing LOL! Well.. just put it down to a life experience yes?

I like your page :) So much fun to look at. Have a great week and I hope the weather goes easy on you all .

Kim said...

Happy Chinese New Year, I saw this is the man and totally loved it especially the spinner WTG !

Sandi Cl~ said...

Fab page. Love that spinner. You may convince me to start using my cutters again. Lol happy Chinese New Year !

Deana said...

OMG... I'm cracking up. I've been skiing a handful of times. Definitely not my favorite vacation. I'm totally into exercising, as you know, but that's at the bottom of my list. It's probably the cold thing. I'd much rather be at the beach. Now spinning on the other hand, you must try. I've been addicted to that class for about 4-5 years now & totally thought I'd hate it before I tried it. Ok enough about exercise. The page ROCKS... as ALWAYS... and so do YOU!

Angi said...

Fabulous page! Love that spinner!

Audrey Pettit said...

Well I think you are pretty darn brave for even trying skiing......something I would NEVER do! Way too scary and cold for me. I'm definitely more of a sledder myself.
Your page is absolutely gorgeous! You turned summer papers into a winter masterpiece! LOVE your spinner!

Charlene said...

Adorable page!! I love the spinner and papers!! Happy New Year yesterday :-)!! I've never been sking buthave always wanted too! Except I'd probably spend all my time on my fanny lol!!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Brilliant work! The spinner is AWESOME! Wow - love your work! :D

Maryfrances Fabbri said...

Great page Jing-Jing. I love how you used all the elements.

alexandra s.m. said...

Bonne Année!
Je viens d'entendre que l'année du serpent sera pleine de sagesse ;-)

I love your page! and these spinners are awesome ;-)

Nathalie said...

Jing Jing, je suis 100% d'accord avec toi sur le ski!!! Tu me fais rire quand même! Ta page est trés belle!

Christie Bryant said...

Sorry about your skiing experience, I myself have never gone. Fear, oh the fear.
I love your sledding layout! Darling!

Alice Wertz said...

I have never tried skiing, so I guess I should approach it with caution according to your experience? =) very cute page and fab custom embellishments, too! Happy Year of the Snake to you, too! =)