Saturday, February 2, 2013

Making Invitations

For the first time ever, First Born is getting to have a birthday party!  I don't recall what brought it about but I think she asked for a party and we did not recoil from the thought.  I feverishly worked on making invitations so she could bring them to school last Friday, only to find out that it was yet another day off for the kids!  
No doubt, you could suggest that I simply use store bought invitations, but my gosh, with a room full of stuff, how could I resort to something else?  At a minimum, I had to make a simple card (many times) if just to say that this hobby has some use outside of being creative and having fun!  

Yep, I used Birthday Bash, my most beloved and most frequently used cartridge in my collection.  I would like to share a tip with you.  Instead of cutting the beige cheek + ears and the black eyes + nose, I drew them using markers.  It is very difficult to get a really good cut of these small pieces, so I color them in to make life simpler.  This issue is not exclusive to the Cricut machine, cutting a dot is challenging with Cameo as well.  
Now it's time to relax after a very exhausting (as usual) cardio kick this morning.  Tomorrow will be spent at the pool waiting and waiting for First Born to swim her races.  I just might miss most of the Superbowl activities tomorrow!  I still need to figure out who I would like to see win. 

11 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Too stinky cute! I adore your little coloring on the facial feature! Works perfectly! Have fun waiting at the pool (LOL)!!

Michelle said...

It's really cute!! Good to have something simple if you have to replicate it several times. First born here had a handful of parties as did middle child in her elem. school years. Last one, no party. Just the five of us here. Interestingly enough, middle child is asking for a bday party.. she's in high school now. Maybe we can stick to taking a few girls bowling and out for pizza and call it good. :)

Karen B. said...

You are a power mom! These are too cute.

alexandra s.m. said...

Aww...these invits' are so adorable!
Good luck for the swim meet...
I was a swimmer and there's no way i would put up with swim meets ever again!!

Courtney K said...

you are such an awesome mom!! these are so fun & cute!!

Nathalie said...

This is just too cute!!! LOVE the patterned paper you used for the body! I bet your DD will be proudly handing them out :)

Audrey Pettit said...

OMGosh, how sweet! You KNOW I love that cute hedgie!

Angi said...

EEEK!!! These invites just make me smile!!!!

Deana said...

Totally darling! And yay for her first bday party! I'm sure you'll be the hostess with the mostest!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Totally cute!!! I totally agree - with all our supplies it's almost sinful not to use them for this sort of thing!!! Oh and BTW - the number-covered chipboard circle on my school layout is actually a large circle by 2Crafty, covered in foam AC Thickers then covered in white gesso and them partially swiped with blue acrylic paint. :D Cheers! xo

Alice Wertz said...

super duper cute!!!! love love it, Jing-Jing!! you are amazing!