Saturday, November 24, 2012

Talk about Winter Melon

The first snowfall of the season happened on Thanksgiving Day.  The temperature dropped 40 some degrees on that day.  We woke up to a balmy 60 degrees but the winds brought in the cold air and the snowflakes.  I suppose now is an appropriate time to "ode" our winter melons.

This year, my parents grew winter melons in our garden. The Chinese call them winter melons because they can typically be stored for 12 months without refrigeration. In the olden days, they were one of the few vegetables available in the winter time. Ironically and in fact, the winter melons require very warm weather to grow.  My parents started the process a little too late in the summer so we only harvested one 18-lb melon and a few other smaller ones.  Nevertheless the "experiment" was a success considering these giant melons are usually grown on the ground like pumpkins, but my dad was ingenious enough to keep them propped up and "hanging" on the trellis.
I used the Fancy Pants Designs' latest collection Blissful Blizzard for this layout. I particularly like the weather worn background paper I used.  It is perfect for my subject matter here.

Here are a couple of close-up photos collaged together. The stitching is simply some rubon in my stash. It's been forever since I used the sewing machine on my layouts. It's just too much work for me, lol.

This has been a wonderful holiday weekend for me.  I returned to the gym on Monday and my back seems to be fully recovered.  The very last class I waited to return to was BodyPump, and I was very pleased to survive it without any problems.  Mind you, I can hardly move due to sore muscles, but it feels good! I even tried out a new class called "R.I.P.P.E.D." coming to my local Y next February   If the schedule permits, I shall be a regular in that class for sure! Lastly, I returned to the scene of the crime and took my Cardio Kick class with Stephanie today.  All was well! Thank heavens!

Tomorrow is going to be church, football, and friends.  I feel so blessed!

15 comments:

~* steph :) *~ said...

love your layout, JJ! you always take the best photos! and i love wintermelon soup! so good! hope you and your family had a wonderful thanksgiving! have a great rest of your weekend! *hugs* and much aloha, steph :)

Courtney K said...

that's a pretty hefty melon there. and i too love that background paper!

Michelle said...

I am enjoying reading about the little snippets of your parents. DH keeps asking if the "immigrants" are still here. He thinks it is so funny you called them that. I love this page. Love the papers. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I certainly gobbled til I wobbled. LOL I think I need to talk some of your classes at the Y! ;) Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

Nathalie said...

Finally able to catch up on my favorite blogs after a week at my in-laws :) Your page is adorable and the stitching fooled me ;) Love how you framed the big photo compared to the rest of the collage.

Karen B. said...

I hope that you've enjoyed your weekend. These melons look divine, especially how you've done them up on this page.

Charlene said...

Yes , talk about a hugs melon lol!! What do you feed them? LOVE the page :-)

Alice Wertz said...

wonderful details and colors. very pretty layout, Jing-Jing!! 18lb? that's pretty big! they make awesome soups and i miss it! =) so glad to hear that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and yay for exercising again! =)

Keri said...

Ooh, so glad to hear you're feeling well again, and are back to your gym-love! Love on this page that you took photos of the melons as they grew and progressed in more than one stage/size...great idea!

Deana said...

Ok... I've heard about RIPPED, but we don't have it at our Y. REALLY want to check it out though!

Love the page! Love the cute photos & loved learning about winter melons! :-)

Audrey Pettit said...

Awesome! Really fabulous layout, Jing Jing! I love the photo collage and love that worn wood background paper with this! The scalloped border and faux stitching is great, and I love the scattering of brads around the title, too.
So glad to hear that your back is better and that you've returned to the gym! Awesome news! I need to get my bottom back to the gym, too....my excuse is just pure laziness!

Virginia L. said...

You just make me DROOL again!! How could you...?....First it was your Dad's baked goods and now the winter melons! Your layout is "DELICIOUS", too!! I love that wood-grain and how you layering the elements! Note to myself: next time I should visit your blog with a FULL stomach :)

Kim said...

wowowowow you certainly grow them big!!! fabulous photos and awesome design as always!!!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a great page and wonderful story!
Tell us, is there anything your Dad does not do well?
Has he tried the French Macarons yet ;-)

Happy to read your back is all better Jing-Jing ;-)

Denise Price said...

Yay, I get to learn more about winter melons! Thank you.

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Now it's time to start thinking about Christmas...

Lisa Dorsey said...

Love your layout JJ! Came by to say congrats, just saw the new list for CK dream team. So well deserved!