Thursday, September 27, 2012

Winter Melon and North Pole Cards

Yesterday, my parents harvested our first ever winter melon. At 18 lbs, it was a whopper considering it was "hanging" on the vine.  My dad made some kind of contraption to hold it in place for it to grow.  I asked and was told that they are typically grown on the ground like pumpkins but we don't have that kind of room in the backyard, lol.

A traditional winter melon soup was made and it was delicious.  DH asked me if it was how I remembered it in childhood.  That question struck me as odd because I've even bought and cooked it myself a few years ago (never again, but that's another story). Neither kids liked it which brings me to my question.  Is there any hope in introducing new vegetables to kids?  Not that it is important to me that they like or eat winter melon. After all, once their grandparents no longer live with us, they will never be presented with that choice again.  The same thing goes for eggplants, Chinese chives, pea tips, so on and so forth. Frankly the less they want to eat it, the more there is for me to eat! :)    

I have a couple of cards to share as well. They are made using the North Pole collection by Doodlebug Designs. This entire week has been dedicated to North Pole on the Doodlebug blog, so be sure to stop there to check out all the other creations by the design team.  What a cute collection and I look forward to having these cards auctioned for the United Way in October!

15 comments:

Beth Hallgren said...

Love the cards! What a cute collection :) I struggle everyday trying to get my kids to vegetables :{ and my daughter is a vegetarian!

Virginia L. said...

What lures me into your blog was that gorgeous, delicious/healthy-looking winter melon-hubby's all-time favorite soup from childhood. We just finished a huge pot of winter melon soup (with home made wontons)..and of course, it was the store-bought winter melon! I wish we live closer--that's all I am going to say ;) Your card with the Doodlebug products are gorgeous. But then again, I am partial to the water melon....

Shirley said...

Miss winter melon. Used to grow all the time in GA but don't think they would work here in Seattle. Black mushrooms, Chinese ham, dried scallops. YUM! Am going to try to grow ong choy though in pots.

Aubree said...

You know I'm still short on cards.....

I have never even heard of winter melon!

Love the cards...snowmen are my fave!

Audrey Pettit said...

Your cards are SO cute, Jing Jing! And I know I'm not the only one who thinks so! Congrats on your LOTD at 2Peas!
I've never tried Winter Melon. How cool that you got such a large one to grow in your garden. I wish I had tips for getting children to try new veggies......I'm still struggling with that at 14 and 17. ;)

Deana said...

Sheesh...that thing is huge! Don't think I've ever tried winter melon. As for getting kids to try new veggies, I tell Bryn I would never make her eat anything gross or anything I don't like, which isn't much! In fact, I hate liver, but that's about it! I also tell her she has to try it. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to eat it. 99% of the time she'll ask for more, at which point I'll say, "No...you said it looked gross, you can't have anymore!" LOL. Gotta trick kids...:-). Adorable cards, as always!!!

Karen B. said...

I've never had a winter melon...Your cards are adorable, I love the bright colors.

alexandra s.m. said...

Je me demande ce que c'est cet espece de courgette?!! moi je ne connais pas du tout ce "winter melon" et je suis très intriguée...je ne sais pas si c'est le coté français mais mes enfanst ont toujours aimé l'ail, les oignons, et tous les légumes du soleil ;-)

en tous les cas, tu me fais toujours autant rire et je toruve tes deux cartes Doodlebug absolument adorables!

Bon w-e!

Kim said...

love love love the twine around that first one!!!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

UBER cute cards!!!

Denise Price said...

Wow, what an interesting (and big!) vegetable. Is it pale yellow on the inside? Or pink, like watermelon? (It was hard to tell from the Wikipedia article.)

Love your cards--esp. the way you used blocks of many different papers on the first one.

Charlene said...

A fantastic card Jing Jing!!!

Bente Fagerberg said...

Your cards are gorgeous.I LOVE them!! TFS!
Don't know about the veggies though. Youngest DD refuses to eat ANY warmed up vegetable at all. Raw and in salad is fine! Never tried the winter melon. Looks intrigueing!

Alice Wertz said...

it's been a loooong time since i have had a winter melon soup. sigh... lucky you!! =) love the frame design on your first card and Mr. Snowman is so cute!!! fabulous cards, Jing-Jing!

Christie Bryant said...

Adorable cards!!!
My kids are FINALLY eating vegetables after YEARS of trying new ones. I think eventually they just gave up and started eating what I put in front of them. But I agree, if they don't eat them...the more for me! :)