Sunday, July 15, 2012

Subtraction, Infinity

Two weeks ago, I decided to take on a huge home improvement project: to purge and to organize my scrapbook room.  To borrow a phrase from DH, I am attempting to subtract from infinity. 

For two weeks now, I have been in there, ruthlessly going over my huge stash and tossing things out of my room.  My mother has been helping me a little and taking over some of my stash that she likes.  I have distributed several boxes of stuff at work.  This Wednesday I had a friend over and she went home with 8 inches of patterned papers (She measured, not me!) and magazines galore.  So far... you can see a few empty shelves but that won't last long.  I will be dragging things out from the dark corners of the scrap purgatory, you know, where supplies go to be forgotten!

It is definitely a long and arduous process. As much as I would love a room transformed overnight, I just have to chip away at it a little by little every day. I didn't accumulate this stash over a period of two weeks, so shedding the excess will be a work in process for weeks (if not months) to come.  I also need to figure out a way to maintain a healthy stash, but that's for consideration at a later time. 

I do have a quick little card to share.  The owl and the sentiments are from the Silhouette online store.  Both designed by Lori Whitlock and they are adorable! 
The heart pin is from Purple Cows.  It is by far my favorite tool/embellishment from them and I love using them on cards and layouts.  
Oh, as a part of my purge, I have distributed a large number of cards that I have made over the years for design team assignments or publications.  This little guy has already been given away, woot woot!  One last comment about my purge: so far, no fewer than eight layouts have been sent to the paper recycle bag.  What a great feeling that was, lol!  A'ight, time for some TV to numb myself before another work week starts! Good night from my little corner of the world!

20 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your hubby's comment!! Quite funny! I can completely feel your pain!!! I am there with you. It is a long and arduous process for sure. Mine has been an ongoing process for awhile. You are a stronger person than I. I could never throw away my LO's. Good luck with it! It will be all nice when it is done. :)

Beth Hallgren said...

Wow! Come on over and help me when you are done :) I'm sure my stash isn't anywhere near as big as yours but I have a really hard time parting with stuff :P What if I need it?!

Cute card! I'm guilty of making them and never giving them away :{

Rhonda Merry said...

So, now there should be plenty of space to refill with new projects. Cool!

Sandi Cl~ said...

What a great card! I totally understand the purge .. it goes on forever and then I buy more!

alexandra s.m. said...

J'adore le titre de ton post et ta carte est superbe.
Bon courage pour le tri de toutes tes affaires de scrap. C'est beaucoup de travail mais ça en vaut la peine!
C'est quelque chose que j'ai fait il y a 3 ou 4 étés et depuis j'achète un peu moins ;-)

Keri said...

Love the little owl backed by the text paper...and the awesome title too! I feel you on the arduous de-stashing process...I've succeeding in ridding my room of about 4 giant rubbermaids full...but now they're just sitting in my garage and I need to figure out what to do with them, lol!

Audrey Pettit said...

Cleaning out a scrap room is never an easy process, is it? So mind boggling how much we all tend to accumulate. I get so overwhelmed whenever I try to take on such a task. I have been working on getting rid of stuff I'll never use, though....slowly, slowly. Good luck with your purge!
Love your card! That owl is adorable, and I really love the die cut sentiment, too. The heart pin is a super cute touch!

Melanie said...

kudos to you for purging! I used to purge for 15 minutes on the 15th of every month. But then I got behind . . . and then I got overwhelmed . . . and now I need to do a serious 2-week purge as you have done. thanks for the inspiration :)

Deana said...

And you're recycling layouts because you don't like them or what? LOL Purging is definitely a bit overwhelming, especially when it comes to my daughter's room. That girl hoards everything. It's maddening. Good luck & I adore that owl card!

Alice Wertz said...

that owl is sooooo adorable! lovely card, Jing-Jing! i also did a little organizing and purging over the weekend and hurt my back in the process. see! that's why I don't like doing it! =) yes, it's an on-going process and i'll try not to hoard... hope all goes well on your effort, too! =)

Charlene said...

I KNOW exactly how you feel! It's overwhelming to me...my scrapbook room needs to be purged badly. I started about a month ago and life seems to get in the way lol!!! I have acculmated so much and I just don't have the space for it all!! I was thinking of moving my scrapbook room to my main bedroom and moving me to the scrapbook room!!

Love your card, it is so so cute!!!

Angi said...

EEEK...that little owl is so sweet. I need to purge myself. :)

Denise Price said...

Oh, what an adorable owl! I also love the sentiment, with its eclectic mix of letter styles.

Well, you know I love recycling (and that's an understatement), but why are you recycling layouts? Are they just not "keepers" for some reason?

Karen B. said...

What really is infinity? I think you can have more and more and more! Your card is so much fun, the owl is adorable.

Courtney K said...

adorable card! and i admire your ability to purge!

Lisa Dorsey said...

Oh Jing-Jing, that card is the CUTEST thing ever!

Debbi Tehrani said...

This is so, so, so cute! Wow, I admire you for purging. I just can't do it. Bought a new house to accommodate my scrap stash instead. :P :D

Belinda Langner said...

Cute card! And good luck with the purge - your husband's comment is too funny. :)

Kim said...

that is just too darn cute!!!!!!
and how good is it to purge, I have 3 friends who are just starting scrapping so they have all benefited from lots of purges of mine, you will find it so liberating getting rid of things that you think...one day...but that day never comes, be ruthless!!

Agata said...

Well, I'd LOVE to live very close to you and help you with your purge, lol! :))) Very sweet card!