Monday, July 23, 2012

Creating Keepsakes Mixed Media Special Issue


Say the words "mixed media," I will immediately tell you that I am nothing but a pretender in that department.  Even so, when I was called on to create a project for the just released Creating Keepsakes' newest special issue: Mixed Media ScrapbookingI dug deep and controlled all trepidation just long enough for the assignment.  



The reality is that I use mixed media elements in my projects on a regular basis but just don't necessarily think of these products as such.  After all, I am just a scrapbooker and not an artist!  But this scrapbooker uses paints, mists, fabric and much more.  Just don't ask me to use them all together, then I'm lost :)  

As usual, I created a two-pager (a very important and well-known requirement) for Creating Keepsakes magazine. These photos make me smile because I feel that they need no words of explanation!  I suppose we should get them together for a re-match soon.  It's been a while.
I used the Pink Paislee mistable letters and inked them with Rangers' distress inks.  Then I applied layers of crackle medium from Helmar to achieve the crackled and aged look.  I also applied the same medium on the ready-made Crate Paper chipboard pieces I used on the layout.  Though the process takes over 24 hours of application and drying, the end results are well worth the effort and time. 
To celebrate the release of this new special issue, CK is having a summer camp 2012.  Check out the details on the CK blog and join in on the fun!


The purge of my scrapbook room continues.  I am continuously distracted by the wonderful products that I'm about to throw out.  I have made way too many stops in between piles to make cards using products that are on their ways out the door. I definitely need to be more ruthless than I am right now!

14 comments:

Nathalie said...

Mixed media is not the first thing that comes to mind when I look at your page, nevertheless it is absolutely publishing worthy!!! The design and the colors are gorgeous! Congrats BTW :)

Audrey Pettit said...

Ooh, gorgeous 2-pager, Jing Jing! Love the design and LOVE the crackle effect on title and embellies! And super huge congrats on the pub!

Michelle said...

First, Congrats on the publication! Second, what a fabulous page! I love the crackle medium on the title and it is a wonderful design.. love the photos too, btw!

Karen B. said...

I've never met you in person, but I have a hard time thinking that you would ever be ruthless (did I spell that right?)! Your layout is so awesome, clean and simple yet still full of detail.

Alice Wertz said...

it's a beautiful page, Jing-Jing! i love that there is no mess like usual mix media creates. very pretty design and details and the photos are just so precious. i love the serious face on your girl, i bet she is hard to beat! =) congrats on the publication, too! ahhhh... i have many a time thinking if i really want to throw certain things out and stop mid-way of purging. really bad habit... sometimes you just have to think if you haven't used it in two years, you may just never use them again. that always helped. =)

Courtney K said...

oh those chipboard letters look awesome! and congrats on the pub!

alexandra s.m. said...

Bravo! Cette page est absolument parfaite ;-))

Angi said...

Fabulous page! Love the photos and paper! :)

Charlene said...

Very cool Jing Jing! And you ARE an artist :-)

Sandi Cl~ said...

Fabulous 2 pager .. love the clean design. Oh, purging is so hard for me .. I hang on to my scrappy goodness like the hold grail .. LOL

Kim said...

I think youare the queen of double Jing JIng...this looks so fabulous!

Deana said...

Trying to remember his name... hoping I got it right... but is that Uncle Steve I see in the photos? :-)

LOVE the page. Congrats as always! You ROCK.

Virginia L. said...

Congrats on the pub!! I spied the latest CK issue with your layout in it today! You are a rock star!

Agata said...

It's a fabulously designed layout! Wow! Fantastically balanced! Congrats on the pub!