Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mid-Autumn Festival and Mooncakes

The Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival is usually sometimes in September. I remember as a youngster, we always had to eat four thing: mooncake, duck, potato, and egg.  Of these things, the moon cake is the most prominent, the de facto food of the mid-autumn festival.  The more famous type of moon cakes are the Cantonese style. They are glazed outside and usually sweet.  My favorite filling of moon cake growing up was a sweet mixture of brown sugar and pork fat.  It was as amazing to me then as it is revolting to me now. 

Then there is the Souzhou style mooncake, a dough that is pastry like with meat fillings.  They are baked on the stove top and always served and eaten hot.  I remember how amazingly delicious they were when we would buy them from street vendors.  Even now, every time I visit Shanghai, I return to the famous stores on Nanjing Road where I would buy a couple: one to inhale, one to savor :) 

These are the types of mooncake that my parents learned to make a few years ago. What's amazing to me is how authentic they are!  It's not like someone gave them a recipe.  They just figured things out by trial and error, and they are absolutely amazing from that perspective.  I appreciate their traditional culinary efforts and admire their abilities in the kitchen. 

So here it is a layout documenting them making mooncakes in 2010.  Using Doodelbug's Welcome Home and Bon Appetit collections and a pagemap.

18 comments:

Karen B. said...

One to inhale and one to savor-I do that a lot too! Fun page, they look delicious.

alexandra s.m. said...

Les deux parents qui cuisineent? mais c'est génial ça!!!
Trop jolie ta page!
Bravo

Keri said...

Always love the story behind your layouts, Jing-Jing! :) Love the alternating photo design here with the three photos!

Deana said...

Love seeing your mom & dad on a page...& of course it's about food! LOL.

Christie Bryant said...

Makes me want to try a moon cake! I love it when you share life stories, you have such a wonderful way to story-telling.

Sandi Cl~ said...

Jing-Jing, you are a marvelous story-telling .. which is more than half the scrapbooking battle. Love the photos .. and oh those moon cakes sound good!

Nadia Cannizzo said...

LOVED reading your story. Its so important I think to document these things. Awesome work.

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fabulous layout, Jing Jing! Love, love your story behind this and LOVE that your parents work together in the kitchen like that. What a sweet relationship. Such great photos of the two of them. Love how you've arranged them here and love how you used the journaling die cuts and the paper frills. SO cute and fun all at the same time!

Michelle said...

What a fun page and such a great story!! I too enjoy all the stories that your pages are about.

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Love your yummy moon cakes page. The colors are sooo fun! :)

Shirley said...

Still not a fan of them. Cantonese or not. LOL!

Kathy Martin said...

Love, love, love this page! Perfect line for a cooking page! I want to try one of those! :)

Pearl said...

awesome ! you get to eat homemade mooncakes !!!! lovee the story too !!!

Nathalie said...

J'aime vraiment l'histoire et les photos que tu as mis en page. Le choix des papiers et la mise en page sont trés dynamiques!

Blossom inch said...

yummy mooncakes..love it so much and thanks for sharing this beautiful page!

Patricia said...

quelle superbe page.. pleine du bonheur de la cuisine ensemble!

Virginia L. said...

You have me DROOLING here..even though the Moon Cake Festival has way passed! I love love the layout! This is what scrapbooking is about~ Yummy layout and post!

Emily Leiphart said...

Revolting? Never! Although I had no idea it was pork fat. Ok, maybe that's not very nutritious but they do taste ever so good! Great layout of a wonderful tradition.