Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Knitty Gritty

Some layouts I can't wait to share on the blog and this is definitely one of them.  It's never easy using only 4x6 sized photos on a layout and I thought this is well done, so I'm totally stoked :) Check out the Work in Progress kit that I used to create this layout.

How about that, eh... I can't believe she is doing a little knitting now, and that my mother was the one who started her doing it.  There was a time when the only sweaters we wore had to be knit by my mother.  What we consider a hobby activity today was once upon a time a necessity to do (or have no sweater to wear in the winter).  When I was First Born's age and asked my mother to teach me to knit, I was told: "Study hard, get good grades, go to college, get a good job, make money and buy all the sweaters you will ever need."  I did all of that, so today, my children have the luxury of learning knitting from their grandmother, yes, it's come full circle and I appreciate that.

I'll be waiting for that scarf First Born has promised me... my neck will freeze for decades I imagine but I'll be waiting...

This adorable yarn cluster comes from the Country Life cartridge. The scallop circle is cut from Elegant Edges cartridge.  I bought an Expression 2, I just couldn't live without my Cricut any more.  The new machine actually cuts better than my previous one, so I have a new side hobby now: making Cricut cuts for the sake of making cuts :) 

25 comments:

Nadia Cannizzo said...

Oh so cute! Love it. Love the colours and awesome use of the kit and LARGE picture too. Take care!

Karen B. said...

My grandmother crotchets and I've tried to learn, but it just isn't happening. My little boy thinks he can crotchet, he takes the needle and wraps yards and yards of yarn around it-and my grandmother just smiles! Your daughter has such a look of concentration on her face, what a grand hobby to learn. And your layout is really great!

Sandi Cl~ said...

Well, I can see why you were so excited! Great color combo .. and awesome Cricut cuts. Congrats on your new E2 .. bet you are having fun!

Michelle said...

Oh how cute!!! I love your design. Those are some cute yarn balls you cut! I just bought the Elegant Edges cartridge. I hear you on the 4x6 photos. That is all I have 99.9% of the time! Have fun with your new toy!

Mara... said...

Such fun embellies on this layout!!! I love the colors, too.

liana suwandi said...

soo cute, is she seem so serious, LOVED the color combo ...

Patricia said...

super... je revois mes filles en train d'apprendre à tricoter... Beautiful page!

Blossom inch said...

that is so cute and she knit...just awesome and page JJ...

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, this is SO precious, Jing Jing! Love those photos of her concentrating so hard and love your page design. The mix of papers and colors is fabulous. Love the text paper mixed in and love all your fancy cuts. The layered tags are perfect, and I adore your title work. SO cool!
My DD taught herself to knit recently from a book. Took her forever, but she's finished her first scarf, which she's proudly given to me. Now she's working on her second project, but the going is really slllloooooow.

cashemere said...

So cute. I love this LO.
Kisses
Débora

Larajc said...

pretty layout! I think it is good for kids to take up a hobby that is creative. I know that it gives me solace!

Kim said...

can she come and teach me!!!! I love the design of this one jing Jing

alexandra s.m. said...

How adorable!
J'adore ta page et le thème de celle-ci.
Moi, ma Maman a réussi à m'apprendre à tricoter mais ça n'a pas marché avec ses petits-enfants curieusement ;-)

Deana said...

Good grief, that daughter of your's is pretty! Love that photo of her concentrating and the page is beautiful! How cool that she's learning to knit! I bet she finishes the scarf before you know it! :-)

Tanya Tahir said...

this is adorable, love the little yarns! Sweet pics :)

Keshet said...

This is so pretty! Love the color combo!

Nathalie said...

I love her face and your composition! Great page! And you can always send me some of your die-cuts if you just want to cut some more! I don't own a machine! :)

Christie Bryant said...

LOVE this layout! She looks so adorable knitting!
How fun that things have come full circle! Love your stories. xoxoxo

Melanie said...

What a funny story! My parents had the same theory . . .

You are really showcasing the cricut cuts. Love them--how fun to find all sorts of new embellishments for your pages :)

Rhonda Merry said...

I have been absent from the bog world for the past week or so. Looking at all your posts you have some wonderful LO's. Love your work Jing Jing.

Eila Sandberg said...

Tee hee can totally relate to the knitting story ;)) I can only crochet looooooong "worms" and they don't make any good neck warmers. Super super cute page JJ and just look at the concentration in her face! love how you worked that kit. xoxoxo

Janetcraft said...

oh dear, she is a big girl now...She knits for Mommy?
Lovely pictures taken..so into it..
LAyout is perfectly nice..

teacher jessy said...

She is awesome. I can crochet a lil but not that great! Good to see that DD is starting early. That layout is YUMMO! Love the bright yellow and the clustering too :)

Pearl said...

wow ! she's starting young ! awesome ! Sweet layout , hun !

Lisa Dorsey said...

Such an amazing layout Jing-Jing! Love those yarn balls!