Monday, November 21, 2011

Apples of Our Life

Today I am sharing a layout I was asked to create for a special issue of the Creating Keepsakes: Scrapbooking with Fabric and Notions. I admit that I totally wanted to balk when I got the request to incorporate fabric into my journaling. That required some thinking outside of my box. In the end I was glad to have taken on the challenge because I am very happy with this layout.  I was so happy with it that I actually stuck everything down before I submitted it for review, lol.


As seen in special issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine: Scrapbooking with Fabric and Notions. Copyright Creative Crafts Group. Posted with prior permission from the publisher.

You can see a close-up of the fabric lined journaling here.  These are AdornIt fabrics that Carolee gave me when I visited her booth at Winter CHA this year. I thought they coordinated very well with the rest of my layout.  I trimmed very thin pieces of fabric and folded them in half lengthwise to make them even thinner.  Then I stitched them directly onto the paper. 

The label is a digital cut from Laina Lamb, you can find it in the 2peas store.  Isn't it awesome?

Thanksgiving in the U.S. is fast approaching and I am very thankful for this hobby and all the wonderful people I have met along the way, whether in real life or in the virtual blogsphere.  Thank you for visiting and your comments always brighten my day! 

I am excited for this Thursday because I am actually planning to make food! I have big plans: candied sweet potatoes and a pecan pie.  I've never baked a pie in my life, so my parents-in-law are bringing a back-up, lol.  That and no one else in the family likes pecans.  How un-American to not like pecans?! lol.  Anyway, I will finally have a Color Room project to show on Thursday so I will update you on my attempt at cooking and the aftermath :) 

15 comments:

Deana said...

Sooo, SO CUTE! LOVE how you incorporated the fabric with the journaling. And continued congrats on your CK gigs. You totally deserve it, girl!

Best of luck with your pecan pie. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it's delish!

Blossom inch said...

gorgeous way of using fabrics in your LO and totally a gorgeous page!

Beth Hallgren said...

Wow! So creative! I can't beleieve I missed this in the special issue. Must have been the Ambien :)

Alice Wertz said...

too cute! both the photos and the details. love the rows of scallops for journaling. fabulous work as always, Jing-Jing! hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend with family and friends! =)

Audrey Pettit said...

Oooh, what a COOL layout, Jing Jing! I would be so stumped by fabric used in my journaling, but wow, look at YOU! This is awesome! Love your title, too......makes me think of the cotton commercials on tv and really ties into the fabric theme.
I'll be thinking of you on Thursday! I'm attempting to make food products myself this year. ;) DD is after me to make apple pie. I've only ever made one other pie, and it took me 3 attempts to get it near edible. That was Thanksgiving 2 years ago. Not sure I'm going to do much better this year.

liana suwandi said...

first congrats on your pub, love seeing all your projects JJ, so creative. Happy early Thanksgiving to you and your family :)

Courtney K said...

how awesome is that fabric and journaling!

Keri said...

Wow, this is stunning, Jing-Jing! You really knocked it out of the ballpark with the fabric/journaling strips combo, it's really gorgeous!

Michelle said...

This is a beautiful page. I love all the goodies you clustered and what a creative way to journal!! The fabric adds great texture! The Thanksgiving Feast preparation is underway at my house!! I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family!!!

Virginia L. said...

So thrilled for you that you got ASKED to create! You are already FAMOUS!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving! And about the pie...it's REALLY easy! I must have made hundreds by now!! If I can do it, so can you! And get on with the pecans!They are GOOD for you, too!

Charlene said...

Sooooooooooo awsomely (Is this a word? ) :-)adorable!!! Love the fabric....just gorgeous as all your creations are :-)!! My you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving my friend :-)

Christie Bryant said...

LOVE this layout! You are one talented lady...look at what you come up with when you have to "think outside the box". You're awesome!

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Good luck with your pecan pie!

alexandra s.m. said...

Waouh quelle page, il y a tellement de détails que je vais devoir revenir l'admirer plusieurs fois ;-)
et je n'arrve pas à croire que tu n'aies jamais fait de pies de ta vie??!!! vraiment? hmmmmm...alors bon courage ;o)

Audrey Pettit said...

Hey Jing Jing! Just popping over to wish you all a very wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. Since I'm actually attempting to cook, I'm afraid I might be stuck in the kitchen all day tomorrow putting out fires! ;) Hope you and your family have a fabulous holiday!

Pearl said...

wow ! love the way you rocked the fabric with journaling !!! way to go , hun !