Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Host Parents

I still call them Mom and Dad.  It all started when I asked if my 10th grade Home Room teacher would ask his parents to bring me an SAT book since they were coming to Senegal for a visit... Then they integrated me into their family 20 years ago when I first came to the U.S. and now 20 years later, they are Grandma A+ and Grandpa A- to my kids :)  We never did lack any humor in our relationship.  For example, I did not mind being called a "twit" by Dad even though Mother told him to stop lest he hurt my feelings.  So much history, so much to document, and perhaps that was why I found it difficult to really say anything on this layout.  I do know what they would say when they see this :)  Can I get copies of this picture?  Yeah, I even have a few printed already :)

Using Jillibean's Sweet and Sour collection, this is my last project as their guest designer and I absolutely loved the two collections I had chosen to work with: Sweet and Sour and Apple Cheddar!  I have been very happy with all projects I produced and I think I did them proud!


Here is a close-up of the title using the woodgrain chipboard letters from Jillibean Soup. It's really totally adorable stuff! And yes, I give thanks to these wonderful and amazing people in my life. I give thanks to God who brought us together.

I am pleased to say that I finally made a few new layouts this past weekend :)  I think one of them will be on the Doodlebug blog sometimes this week.  Woohoo, new content :)  I also made trick-or-treat bags for my kids this year.  The un-altered Macy's shopping bags will be officially retired this Halloween.  Maybe my Halloween photos will be better this year too without the big RED star of Macy's :)

One update on my United Way auctions at work... half of my stuff have bids on them and we have three more days to go :) 

18 comments:

Keri said...

Love the tags and circles, you definitely did Jillibean proud, girl! :)

Denise Price said...

What a sweet tribute to your host parents. <3

Hm, it's interesting that you got host parents 20 years ago. Does that mean that you were here in MN for the big Halloween blizzard of '91? That would be quite the introduction to Minnesota winters!!!

Debbie said...

Beautiful layout and story! Can't wait to see what you've created for Doodlebug!

Charlene said...

What a wonderful story and an awesome page!!!!!Love the picture of your host parents and you did Jillibean proud!!!

Michelle said...

Oh this is a wonderful story. You have to document it on the back! :) It's a beautiful page!! Yes, were you here for the big Halloween blizzard?

Karen B. said...

Your projects for Jillibean have been amazing and this one is no exception! Great colors. And I liked your story too at the beginning.

Virginia L. said...

So glad to know more about you and your host parents...this is what scrap booking /blogging is about! You sure did them/Jillibean proud!! Thanks for sharing!

Beth Hallgren said...

How do you do that!? Use so many colors and patterns and make them look great together! Lovely picture and story. Thanks for explaining the lack of journaling, it's the stories I love to hear, the layouts are eye candy :)

Audrey Pettit said...

This layout is gorgeous, Jing Jing! Such a special photo and a really beautiful design to go along with. You definitely did Jillibean proud, my friend!
Congrats on your auction efforts so far. That is fabulous! And I'm snickering over the Macy's bag retirement. Hope you'll show the treat bags you made. :)

Christie Bryant said...

Such a sweet layout, I LOVE It! Thank you for sharing your loving memories. So lucky to have TWO families! xoxox

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Awww what a beautiful page and couple. Such a sweet tribute. :)

jamie said...

so love all the sweet paper poking out from behind the photo and words.
it's lovely.
what a great tribute.
~j

Alice Wertz said...

such a sweet story behind the photo/layout. it's heart-warming. love love this, Jing-Jing! thanks for sharing!

Deana said...

You have SO many great stories, Jing-Jing. Love his page AND the story! Way cool! :-)

Blossom inch said...

beautiful layout JJ and what a very beautiful pic of M & F. I am sure they will love it and thanks for sharing!

Sue Lui said...

That is such a beautiful photo of your host parents. I'm sure they'll treasure this layout. I'm so fascinated by all the places you've lived in. Seems like you're a regular globetrotter.

Eila Sandberg said...

Love this JJ, wonderful story and beautiful page! Those alphas are such must-haves! take care, xxx

Jennifer Larson said...

What a wonderful page, and lovely sentiment! You are terrific.