Monday, August 15, 2011

The Missing

This is the summer of the missing teeth.  First Born was so enthusiastic about having her photos taken with the huge wide gap.  It's becoming very clear to her that all photos are taken for the sake of scrapping and she is more than happy to contribute to this cottage industry of mine. She even suggested the title for my scrapbook page: "The Toothless Wonder."  I didn't feel like pointing out that other than missing the front two, she was neither a wonder nor toothless, lol.

I used the Sweet Peach Crop Shop's August Sweet kit for this layout and all Sassafras papers.  I will continue to rave about this kit's unique color palette and how effortless it was for me to use both the sweet and the juicy kits! Sassafras' Sunshine Broadcast line has several patterns with a well defined grungey border. I took full advantage of this by layering another sheet of Sassafras paper of my choosing onto the border.  It creates a terrific outline and I like that look very much!

For the butterfly on this layout, I first painted the chipboard with gesso and then layered it with a coat of Shimmerz Pearlz.  The butterfly turned out to be a shimmering beauty! I always thought that art medium such as gesso is just way too much for a scrapper (non-artist) like me, but after reading one of Jessy's blog entries, I picked up a jar at Archiver's.  I don't plan to do anything crazy with this stuff other than painting here and there, but it is definitely nice to use as a primer!  I have an idea.  We'll see if it works out... fingers crossed...

25 comments:

Courtney K said...

ok - i think most kids look silly without their two front teeth - but she is absolutely adorable!! seriously.

Karen B. said...

Adorable layout, and the colors are a wonder. I'll be looking for more tips and tricks with the gesso now!

Keri said...

Again, love this layout, and have a newly-made "toothless wonder" of my own in daughter #2 right now, LOL. LOVE what you did with the awesome Sweet kit here...looks gorgeous and effortless. :)

Alice Wertz said...

your girl's smile is a delight to see toothless or not! she is adorable!! beautiful layout as always and thanks for the like to Jessy's blog!! =)

Jules said...

This is just gorgeous jing-jing! I love these Sass papers too... I have a bunch of them and i really need to have a play with them. I LOVE the way you have layered and combined them! :)) x

Pearl said...

beautiful soft palette with this layout ! & always adorable indeed , your girl ! toothless & otherwise ! lol

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Awwww this is so adorable. Love the pink lettering. :)

Kim said...

teehee gotta love kids!!!!!!!!! I adore the desig here especially those two photos on the left!!

Emily Leiphart said...

Your story is hilarious, Jing-Jing! 'Neither a wonder nor toothless.' LOL Either way, with layouts like this, YOU certainly are a wonder. I have a lot to learn from you!!

Beth Hallgren said...

She is adorable without her front teeeth :) Once again I lament that I wasn't a scrapper when my kids were losing their teeth, grrr! Beautiful layout, the borders are a nice touch :)

Blossom inch said...

what a beautiful toothless smile...cutesy cutesy...
Gesso is in fact a good medium.

Audrey Pettit said...

What a gorgeous layout, Jing Jing! Love those papers and colors. I think your title is just adorable. Love the photo arrangement, too. It's all fabulous!

Nathalie said...

Ta page est superbe!!! J'adore les tons que tu as choisi!! Et les photos de ta fille sont trop belles!!!
Mmmm, peut-être que je devrais essayer la Gesso aussi...

Missy Whidden said...

Beautiful, as always! Love her toothless smile!

Mandie said...

what a cute layout! i love the missing teeth! always so cute!

Deana said...

Awww... SO cute! And I definitely think she's a toothless wonder! :-)

Jaime Lee said...

I totally loving your layout! The butterfly is such a beauty and your daughter is a cutie in the layout :D. Thanks for sharing the tips.

Jocelyn said...

Thanks so much for the welcome back~!~~

I adore that LO and the butterfly is stunning!!!

Not much time to create....my life has changed so much since having to take care of my Mom and Dad.....but it is so good to get back and see everyone!!

Have a great one!!!

Wendy Kwok said...

what a cute layout! I love it

Heather Jacob said...

wow this is so adorable ..... a great memory to treasure ... your colours are so beautifully blended ... awesome page .. hugz x

aina said...

Soo beautiful!! Love the colours and so cute that toothless face :-)) Wish you a great weekend :-)

Christie Bryant said...

Such and adorable layout! She is SOOOOOOO cute!
I've been experimenting with gesso too. LOVING it! Your butterfly is FABULOUS!

Linda Beeson said...

That is such a fun time and your layout shows it off so CUTE!

Jona Panesa said...

lovely page and your DD is really cute!!!

irene moira said...

lovely page.. ur daughter is so cute, jing jing :)