Thursday, August 18, 2011

Give Me This Day My Daily Naan

It was six months ago when I got an email from Kim Jackson asking me to create a layout for an upcoming column in Creating Keepsakes.  My assignment was to use the Daily Junque collection from Pink Paislee and create a double-page layout of my choosing.  After the initial Sally Field "You like me" moment, I went to work on this layout. 

That was my first ever request and it took five iterations to get the layout looking publication-ready :)  I have since learned to assemble the layout using as little adhesives as possible so I can move the pieces around easily should a change be needed.  There are moments of hilarity as I crouch over a layout on the deck arranging chipboard pieces and whatnots right before I take the photo. Several frantic searches for missing pieces took place because of this practice too! 

Now about this layout and these photos... I actually suck at taking food photographs because I want to eat the food much more badly than I want to take their pictures!  The eating wins out 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time the photos are just so cursory and perfunctory anyway.  However, this was a Tandoori bar on the cruise. I had a lot of time after I had completely stuffed my face and inhaled 5000 calories to go back and leisurely select my shots.  So there I have it, a layout to go into my cruise album commemorating every lunch I had on deck :)
As seen in September 2011 issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine. Copyright Creative Crafts Group. Posted with prior permission from the publisher.

With the photos I took on the cruise, I know I can use them to document my affinity for Naan bread and Indian food in general.  This layout is using the Sweet Peach Crop Shop's August Sweet kit.  Now I really feel hungry!  I will talk about the drops of Shimmerz mist another day, there's a story behind these droplets :)

Onto other important and exciting news! A brand new kit from the Front Porch Kits is available for pre-order starting today!  Check out the sneak peak on the left!  Do you see Daily Junque? :) There is a  slight technical delay, so the website will not be ready to accept pre-orders until tomorrow but if you would like to pre-order a kit today. Contact the Little Blue House at (817) 431-7930 and they will be happy to take your order over the phone.

As for me, I look forward to sharing the projects I have created with this Front Porch kit :)

27 comments:

Nathalie said...

Mmmh, maintenant j'ai une petite faim!!! :) Tes pages sont délicieuses Jing-Jing et je te félicite pour ta publication!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Love the fun banner. Adorable page. And thanks for the sweet comment on the Lessology blog. :)

Kathy Martin said...

What yummy pages! Love the designs and all your detialed work!!!! :)

Karen B. said...

That's pretty awesome that you were requested to make a layout, and I think you did a fine fine job!

Alice Wertz said...

fabulous two page layout! it's always fun to see your details. really love the title of your second one, so clever!

Deana said...

I'd say you've made it...getting LO requests from CK! That's sooooooo awesome! Love the pages, too! And the food looks delish. 5000 calories a day...hilarious. :-)

Blossom inch said...

congrats on the pub and that two pages layout are just so beautiful same goes to the one below. What a yummy photos indeed! 5000 calories arghh...thats ok! we have to enjoy the foods!

Beth Hallgren said...

You'd have to pick me up off of the floor! Congrats on the request & pub :) You food pics made me hungry :)

Virginia L. said...

I like it, I REALLY REALLY like it! Only if I can scrap food like you...major drooling here! HUGE congrats on being asked to design for CK!! You've MADE it, Jing-Jing :) Well-deserved!

Pearl said...

hahaha ! yeah ! love your yummy subject here !

alexandra s.m. said...

MILLE BRAVO pour cette publication Jing-Jing et j'aime beaucoup ce que tu as réalisé. Tu donnerais envie à n'importe qui de faire du scrap et d'utiliser cette collection(que j'adore aussi d'ailleurs)

Sandi Cl~ said...

Big congrats on the pub, Jing-Jing. I so envy your eye for composition. But I, too, move things around right before I shoot my photo! Like .. is it fake or is it memorex? ... Love the food photos and am so glad that I just downed my lunch or I'd be craving something good to eat about now.

Christie Bryant said...

Awesome layouts Jing-Jing!!!!! You are totally a food photographer, even if you think you're not! :)

Debra said...

Ordered my FPK today!

Debra said...

Ordered my FPK today!

Anthea said...

OMG your making me hungry!! what a gorgeous double!! thanks for popping by Xx

Debbi Tehrani said...

Such creative and interesting and delicious pages, Jing-Jing! Your photos are just awesome. You always have the best accenting and journaling on your pages!

Courtney K said...

Congrats on the CK assignment!! I love how you added the little photos to the tags.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Oh I adore this double layout Jing-Jing!!! And ROTFLMAO at the Sally Field moment - you are too funny and I totally know where you are coming from. Love it!!!

Kim said...

OOO congrats how exciting for you!!fab fab layout BTW I for one love those photos you have taken!

Audrey Pettit said...

Wow, how awesome Jing Jing! So, so cool to get a request from CK! Love your 2-pager. Such awesome photos and I adore the banner. Love the title of your Naan Better page, too.

Emily Leiphart said...

Deliciously, beautiful layouts, Jing-Jing! And 5000 calories? LOL I love the banner on the first one and the pink thickers on the second.

Wendy Kwok said...

I love your witty title work! I love everything about Naan! LOL... beautiful pages

Wendy Kwok said...

I love your witty title work! I love everything about Naan! LOL... beautiful pages

sarah said...

cute banner!

...and i'm busting up over the title of your post and the fact that food always triumphs. haha!

hugs,
sarah.

Charlene said...

Wonderful Pages! And I love how you strung the title across the page...You are always so inspiring :-)

Kim J said...

Mmmmm Naan.... {droools}.
And I still freaking love that layout! :D