Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Family 1982

When my parents came back this year, they brought with them a big box of unexpected treasure... the stash of photographs we left with my mother's brother when we emigrated from China in the 80's.  My uncle had moved a few times and we had long thought or were told that our photos were thrown out, so you can imagine our collective joy to recover these tangible evidence of our lives. 
Photobucket
It is after examining some of the very early childhood photos of myself that I am finally understanding where Second Child gets her abundant and quirky facial expressions :)

There were some extremely rare "daily life" shots in the stash. I imagine dad was trying to finish up a roll of film, because otherwise, photography was strictly for when we were visiting places.

I was immediately anxious to scrap a photo from the stash.  I know I should scan the photo and preserve the original, but I figured that once it is scrapped, the original is preserved, lol. Serendipitously, the Front Porch Kits' June kit had just arrived, and it is so easy to interpret the papers and embellishments in the kit as vintage perfect.  I picked out this important photo, and because it is small, I framed the photo onto the layout like a wall hanging.

The year was 1982. That's right, I got it wrong on the layout and I'm too lazy to re-photograph! My father's birth parents held their only family reunion in Beijing.  They had eleven children, among them, the 8th (my dad), 9th, and 10th children were adopted by other families, and this was the only time when all eleven children gathered under one tiny roof for ten days. Talk about a logistical nightmare in the days when telephones were not available to ordinary Chinese people.  This was/is the only time I've met most of my uncles, aunts, and cousins, most of them known to me by their relationship to me, and not by name. Can you spot me in the front row? 
All in all, this is a family situation that I will never quite comprehend.  This is my dad's birth family, but he also has an adoptive family where he was the only child. That was the family I knew and grew up with, my birth paternal grandparents were in a separate reality.  Somehow, none of these things conflicted with each other?  I don't even recall when I was told about my birth grandparents, probably right before we went to Beijing in '82. Somehow my dad was always very clear about who his "real" parents were and the ones in Beijing were just extra bonus?  I don't know, and the Chinese do not ask...

If it is strange that I did not journal at all on this layout, it's because I have too much to say. I'm documenting the few thoughts I have in this blog post right now to go with the layout. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the passages here find their ways onto future layouts as journaling. 

I did some fussy cutting of the MME papers and layered them with 3-d foam dots.  Like I said, I'm trying to go for that framed look: layers with 3-d looks.  I used a little bit of yarn that came with the kit to "hang up" the frame.
This has been a verbose post, and before I go, here is the Front Porch Kits' June kit I used to create this family layout.  Isn't it a glorious display? :)  There are a few kits left yet, so get yours! :)

One last thing, thanks to Christine, I now have a new profile photo, woohoo!  Good thing this happened on Saturday because by Sunday, I got a full blown facial rash from sun exposure.  I am quite miserable right now.  In the words of Kramer from Seinfeld... "Look away, I'm hideous..."

36 comments:

Virginia L. said...

This is when your amazing scrap booking skills come in handy...when there's no words for the photo or simply there were just so many facts for the space provided or...where to start with the journaling? I'm sure you will fill in all the blanks in time for the facts ( I don't make any sense, do I!!?). Thanks for taking us down to the trip of your memory lane! Very precious! Love your new profile pic!

Aubree said...

What a lovely layout! so much scrappiy goodnes Came back from china!! I would love a box of vintage family photos!

Nathalie said...

I LOVED reading your post today AND your page is perfect! Talking about design, I love that the photo is actually so much smaller than the frame, I believe it gives it even more significance! Coming from a family with lost childhood photos (at sea!), I can not help but encourage you to scrap that amazing "found" stash and to collect the stories from your parents :D
This is the essence of scrapbooking right here!

Sandi Cl~ said...

Jing-Jing, you know, it just gives me goosebumps to know that your family has recovered these precious photos. What a blessing! So, like me, now you are under pressure to get them at least organized if not scrapped! Fabulous job .. love the ides to frame the photo and give it more meaning. I"m sure you will have even more to say about all these as time goes on! Big congrats! Oh, and I love the new avi!

Shazza said...

What a lovely find with all those photographs, you must be totally so happy Jing Jing!
You have done a gorgeous hanger using the group photo!
Can we see more of your photos on pages and the stories behind them :)
Cheers and have a lovely day!
shazza from Australia

Alice Wertz said...

that's a box full of treasure. so glad that you recovered it. beautiful layout, too. thanks for sharing bits of your family story, too. i loved reading it and how fun to see the precious old photos! =)

DianeC said...

What a beautiful layout. You are so talented. I too have been going through boxes of old family photos and will immediately scraplift this layout. Great post too. This is why we scrap.

Karen B. said...

Wow, look at that pile of memories, I agree, by scrapbooking you are preserving them. Great layout!

Angela said...

Talk about a real life treasure box!! Awesome!

I'm working on my mom's slides from my youth...trying to find a service to convert them to digital format...hopefully soon!

Christie Bryant said...

What a precious photos, so wonderful that your 'long lost' photos were returned.
I absolutely LOVE this layout and adore your wonderful blog post 'journaling'...your blog is a journal too, right?
You are amazing Jing-Jing!

Jennifer Yates said...

Girlfriend you ROCKED this kit!!! This is one of my favs of yours!!! :)))

Deana said...

Wow... how awesome to finally get these photos after so long. And such an amazing beginning to your father's life. Strange that his birth parents continued having children, only to continue adopting them out to other families. How great that they all kept in touch though...

Beautiful LO! And your Kramer comment... too funny!

Keri said...

Ahhhh, wow, my fingers are itching to go through all those priceless photos, Jing-Jing...and it isn't even my family, lol...what a TREASURE. I love the idea of the centered hanging framed photo, great layering too, love it and can't wait to see more of these amazing photos and stories make their way onto your pages!

alexandra s.m. said...

Oh Jing-Jing! Quel trésor en effet!
Je suis tellement contente pour toi et j'ai beaucoup aimé lire tes souvenirs, j'espère que tu continueras à les partager avec tes lectrices ;-)
Ce que tu as fait avec cette photo de famille est tout simplement magnifique!

Bises

Patricia said...

fabulous frame... love it!

Sue said...

Love those old photos and that layout, Jing-Jing!

Jocelyn said...

Look at all those Fabulous photos....love them...what treasure!!!

The LO is just beautiful!!!!

Wishing you a great day sweet friend!!!

Bente Fagerberg said...

This is just gorgeous JJ.
Loved to hear that special story and see your beautiful creation. Things like that can not be put into one or two lines and be placed strategically on a page. These things need time and space...
Tfs!
Oh, and all those photographs,...What a TREASURE!!

scrapopotamos said...

Oh, Jing Jing! How wonderful! You always wanted photos from your youth and now you have them! I am so happy for you, and so moved by your story. Only you can put such a situation into words so matter of factly. I don't think any of us can understand what others did a life time ago, but it is wonderful that you now have photos to go with your history. Such treasures!

Rhonda Merry said...

Very cool treasure, what a heart warming gift to get after all of these years. I love your projcts JJ. I am so glad your are on the FPK team.

Mandie said...

this is gorgeous, jj! love it!

Debbie said...

Wonderful layout!!! How lucky of you to receive the box of old photos. I've been getting them bit by bit as we find them at my moms!!

Angie Delarie said...

What a fantastic layout! Love seeing all those vintage photo's...love and Skullies
AD

Tracy said...

Wow this these photo's are such treasures.
I love to hear about stories from back when. Everything was so different. So thank you for sharing this.
Very interseting. How certain things were just not talked about.

Tanya Tahir said...

oh this is so fantastic to do a wall hanging on a layout! What a treasure to have all those photos!! I am looking forward to seeing you scrap more of those on future layouts. Loved reading about the story behind the photo. I don't think it is strange at all to not journal on your page. I do this alot and then when I blog the layout, I tell my story then. So in that sense, I guess that is my journalling too :)

Kim said...

I totally love how it looks like a frame hanging above the mantle, love all your little details...as always!

jamie said...

what an absolute treasure you were given. i am so excited for you. and i am with you, it IS preserved if it is on a layout such as yours. i have done the same numerous times, and now i know where those photos are.
nice job, j-j...and i noticed and like your new profile pic too.

teacher jessy said...

Wow, that is alot of awesome photos!! Those are precious. Now I can see all your old photos and you have tons of them to scrap. Definitely a treasure! Beautiful as always :)

Charlene said...

How completely wonderful to have these precious pictures! I love the LO and how you cleaverly made the wall hanging on it..Genious!!!I loved your post!

Susan said...

What a treasure to have found all those precious photos. Your layout is beautiful and I can't wait to see more using these photos.

Heather Innusa said...

Poor thing! Hope your face heals up fast! The pic of you is great!

I love this project!! Beautiful layers & the photo is amazing!!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

I love vintage photographs. Love your beautiful page. That paper is so pretty. :)

Melanie said...

Such a story . . . loved reading it, mainly because of your openness in questions and thoughts in your mind.

The way you have preserved this picture is priceless. Beautiful!

Emily Leiphart said...

I LOVE looking at old b&w photos that my parents have. They were so elegant, back then with the frames around them, etc. and they always seem to have their best clothes on, too! I guess you'd have to with the cost of cameras and film back then. Your wall-hanging with the rich colours makes the photo all that more special. Love your work, JJ!! P.S. Love your new profile pic.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh my gosh.. The stash of photos are priceless! And I love that you shared your thoughts right here....

The layout? Spectacular!!!!

Looking forward to seeing more of these hidden treasures....

Keshet said...

Love that profile photo!