Saturday, March 26, 2011

Drops of Jupiter

Now that I'm back in the atmosphere, with drops of Jupiter in my hair, hey ...

I felt an overwhelming wave of gratitude when I read so many lovely comments about my projects on Crate's blog yesterday.  I have tried and am continuing to try very hard to make good and great projects, for me, and for the people who have put their trust in me. I may not succeed every time, but believe me, I always try every time. My heartfelt thanks to Crate Paper and to Christine for this opportunity.  I have treasured it and I believe it shows.

Really, there is this huge back story to this picture...  After graduate school, I reconnected with several childhood friends from Shanghai and we exchanged emails and photos.  Several of them had wedding photos that were too beautiful to describe.  While visiting Shanghai in 2002, I decided that I too, wanted to have some too beautiful photos.  I booked a session with a studio before DH arrived and he was informed that there will be a full day of photoshooting.  He really is a trooper!

I told the studio and all who worked with us that we had been married for 3.5 years and I had no interest in wearing a wedding dress. I wanted photos of us wearing traditional Chinese clothes and other fun formal stuff, but the studio staffers were not to be denied...  I ended up having to wear two white dresses!

It was an interesting experience to say the least.  I was painted whiter than DH.  My eyelids were taped up with scotch tape to make my eyes look bigger.  2-inch long eyelashes were installed and every time I blinked, I felt as if spiders were on my eyes. I am not exaggerating :)  For each outfit, there was a complete hair re-do with extensions and/or whatever.  We were there for 9 hours and DH spent most of the time watching DVD and I was in the chair having things done to me.  I had my concerns: how could the plastic and fakey look be any good?!  But the Studio people were right, I looked amazing in the photos and nothing like myself!  Really, that was the goal right?  I envied my friends' "too good to be them" photos and now I got my own "too good to be me" photos :) 

So yeah, this may look like our wedding day, so not it... lol...  Crate's Portrait collection is my new favorite from Crate Paper.  I am surprised that I love it more than Emma's Shoppe given the fact I have two little girls...  But the Portrait collection practically scraps itself, all you have to do is cut up some paper and let it drop to the surface, it will arrange itself, I promise! ;)

I have another fun opportunity coming up as the guest designer for 3 Scrappy Boys kit club in April.  Here is a bit of history:)  I was a subscriber to this kit club in 2005!  Here are two tiny sneak peaks into the April trio kit, enticing eh? :)  My friend Cheese Aubree is on the 3 Scrappy Boys design team, and there is an active DT call right now, read about it here.
Saturday is in full swing now off to fight my battles.  Body Pump is in just two hours!   Thank you for stopping by!

32 comments:

Courtney said...

like i said on the crate blog - what an awesome photo of the two of you. totally worth all the effort!!

and btw silly, i know that you still know what an eigenvalue is. heck even i still remember, wait maybe because i had to teach linear algebra last year, ughhhh i hate that class!!

Alia said...

What a neat story, and such a great job scrapping this beautiful and special photo!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Super fun to read the 'behind the scenes' story! What women do, eh????

Happy day to you!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Now this is beautiful. Love the wedding cake, the journaling, and other pretty elements on this fab page. :)

Julie said...

awe great story sweets! i can't wait to see what you do with the 3sb kit!!! i keep forgetting about the 3sb call!

have i told you you rock today? ;)

Virginia L. said...

AW... looook at you and DH!! I LOVE how you told the amusing story. The photo session was certainly most amazing! And it's even more amazing is how your layout came about like MAGIC!! I must now get that kit so all the photos and journaling will magically arrange themselves! Thanks for the smile :)

Karen B. said...

I'm a big fan with stories on blogs...yours today is amazing. Great layout too, of course!

Miss Misi said...

Lovely LO and you look very pretty! It was worth the effort because you have gorgeous photos in the end.

Tanya Tahir said...

I was just over at the Crate blog and just had to come here to congratulate you again!! LOVED all of your Crate projects! Congrats on the GDT :)

just jennifer said...

such a beautiful layout! congrats on the crate spot! Love seeing your work out there!

Alice Wertz said...

pretty sure i'll have the same thing done next time we go back to Taiwan. LOL! gotta be pretty once, huh? you are a beautiful couple, i say! =) you always awe me with the details, Jing-Jing! i think i NEED this collection. anything that would arrange itself is good, right? =) have a fabulous weekend!

Emily Leiphart said...

That's just hilarious, Jing-Jing! Thanks for sharing the entire story. As a makeup artist, I'm glad they also painted your neck. It would've looked ridiculous otherwise! Heehee. You did an amazing job of scrapping this beautiful and perfect photo of you and your husband!

alexandra s.m. said...

Bravo!!
J'aime beaucoup ton histoire et ta page ;-)
Tu as toujours un merveilleux sens de l'humour ;-))

Sandi Cl~ said...

What a great story! You write as well as you scrap .. fantastic! Love your plastic photos .. a fun memory for you and the hubs! Glad you have come back down to earth .. we need you here to teach us how to scrap. Now about Emma's Shoppe .. I NEED that!

Arlene said...

That is a FANTASTIC story. Love it.

ruth said...

Okay, now it's even better knowing the 'story' behind the page. :) You are an amazing scrapper girl...enjoy the accolades!!!

Sue said...

I enjoyed the back story to your layout, Jing Jing. :) And you look great in the pix. :)

Jocelyn said...

Love this story!!!!! I so enjoyed reading it!!!

What a Fabby LO...you are such an amazing and talented scrapper!!!

Wishing you a great day!!!

deana said...

Gorgeous page an photo! Congrats again!

ellen s. said...

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh that photo is great and i love the story behind it, thanks so much for sharing that.

have a great rest of your weekend!

curlyqmosaics said...

This layout is absolutely gorgeous! I adore the new Portrait collection!

Kim said...

saw thi sand others over at Crate paper, just gorgeous you really know how to rock some paper!

Larajc said...

Thanks for sharing more about you! I did go the the OA sale, and it was totally worth it!

Samantha Sibbet said...

Hey Jing Jing, congrats on this fun opportunity! loved seeing your work with such pretty papers!

Fryne said...

I looooooooooooooooved, totally loved your projects for Crate!!! you rock Girl!!!

Pearl said...

wow ! 9 hrs in the studio is not a joke ! what a trooper hubs is for that ! lol ! fab layout & story indeed !!!

irene moira said...

love the layout, love the picture and the story behind it!! :)that long 7 hours are worth, you really look stunning!! :)

Christie Bryant said...

That story is so amazing! And so fun! I love your layout! It's FANTASTIC!

Yara said...

What an amazing story, one to treasure, definitely! Congrats in the GDT at Crate! Love everything about your layout! and Congrats in the GDT at 3SB too! Love your work! thanks so much for the sneaks! Looking forward to see the trio kit!

Keshet said...

Love the layout and congrats on Crate!

Nadhrah Maidin said...

Wow what a story...i enjoyed reading it. Your layout is amazing. Nicely done!

Belinda said...

What a fabulous layout! So sweet!