Saturday, February 12, 2011

More WIP Feb Projects

I recently acquired this punch from Michael's, and I put it to use immediately on a layout using Work In Progress' February kit.  How glorious is that filigree heart?  What more am I going to do with it? LOL.  I mentioned how versatile this kit is, my previous post included layouts that look completely different from this one :)

This photo was taken by First Born almost 11 months ago.  A part of me wishes for an early spring like we got last year, but that early spring did result in early cherry blossoms killed by a frost in April.  We just can't win against the weather here :) 
WIP's February's kit contains a sheet of paper called Flour Sack from October Afternoon that looks like batched-together ribbons, so an idea came to me and I created this layout. Since the sheet of paper looks like ribbons, I might as well cut them out as if ribbons :)

Here is a pictorial tutorial how I did the ribbons. I know I could use scissors, but I'm way too lazy for two snips! lol.

Here is a close-up look at the faux ribbons' edges. I used Helmar Zapdots to give a few of them some added dimension.  I also intermingled a few pieces of real ribbons into the mix, just to add to the texture of the page.  Overall, this was a page of experimenting with an idea and I like the end result and I will probably implement this again on another page in the future :)

It's almost Valentine's Day and we have nothing for someone who celebrates a birthday on that day. She really could have helped the matter by coming into the world the day she was due. As such, she will suffer a lifetime of competing interest of V day or B day... sigh... 

29 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Love this LO.....the two of you adorable!!!

Oh my....she shares a Birthday with Valentines Day....kinda like Joe...born the day after Christmas!!!

Wishing you a great day!!!

Karen B. said...

Your daughter is a grand aspiring photographer! Thanks for the tip on the banners too.

Virginia L. said...

Wow! How delicious are these two precious layouts! GINIUS idea of using the new MS punch and the square punch for the banners (I also need that square punch now --LOL)!! I'm often intrigued by those new punches at Michael's...now I think I NEED them!Happy V. Day!!

Virginia L. said...

Ooooops! Forgive my poor spelling--- GENIUS :)

Mandie said...

LOVELY, jj -as always! :) that punch is way awesome!

alexandra s.m. said...

love these 2 lay-outs!
Thanks for sharing your tips Jing-Jing!
You are so clever!
bon w-e!!

Sandi Cl~ said...

Great pages! Love that punch ... I do not need, I do not need, yea, right? Great photo of you and hubby .. love seeing you do romantic. And I love your ibbons on the other!

Alice Wertz said...

your girl is better at photograph than i am!! that's an awesome photo! very pretty layout, too. love how you used the punched heart. and love love how you used that sheet of paper! why didn't i think of that?? so very clever and thanks for the tops on cutting the ribbon ends! have a lovely weekend! =)

Stacy Cohen said...

Great pages . . . love them both! And thanks for the tip about the punch! I always just cut mine, but it's never just two snips because I can never get them even the first time. Great idea!

Aubree said...

Stunning layouts!! I seriously love them!! Not surprised N is taking after her mom w the camera!!
Love the idea and look of the ribbon strips! I never would have thought to use a square punch...not even sure I own a square punch...

Emily Leiphart said...

I keep seeing your name on Alice's and Virginia's blogs so I thought I'd pop by. Your work is amazing! I love these layouts and I'll be back for more inspiration!

deana said...

I say BIRTHDAY rules!

V. Day is just a Hallmark holiday.

And can I just say again how much I adore your scrap booking style! These pages are just stunning and I love, love, love your idea for simplifying things with the square punch. Aren't you the creative one?!!

Ok now...get out and get some b.day gifts. Poo on the hearts and stuff! LOL

Love ya!

Jennifer Larson said...

That punch is to die for! And I love the advice on how to do the hatch in the PP. Great idea!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwww! These are gorgeous! I loveeeeeeeee the way you did the ribbons with the punch! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Sue said...

Fantastic layouts, Jing Jing! That filigree heart is nice. Temptations. :)

Jill said...

Fantastic layouts!

Wati Basri said...

Lovely layouts as usual :)

liana suwandi said...

did i ever tell you that you're so genius, i love your stunning layouts JJ. Happy Valentine's day.

Lori Gentile said...

Great work, Jing-Jing. I love that little trick with the punch! Your daughter takes better pictures than me!

JaniceAileen said...

Love them both! Fab job on the one of you and your hubby--LOVING the red!!!

JaniceAileen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ruth said...

What a gorgeous photo of you and your DH! Fantastic layouts! Love the idea of using the square punch to notch out those ribbon strips. :)

Since I have another use for my square punch I should reward myself with another punch purchase, don't you think? ;)

Charlene said...

What a fab punch and your LO'S are fantastic! LOVE the banners (Wonderful tips) :-) have a great Valentines Day tomorrow w/your family!!

teacher jessy said...

I love what u did with the tags on the first layout! It's such a beautiful layout of u both. You are so smart with the ribbons, that is not lazy girl! Such cute layout of ur girls :)

Pearl said...

ooooooooooo ! I want that filigree heart punch too !!!!!!!!!!!! fabulous layouts & tips ! gotta try that square punch idea !

Keri said...

These are both awesome! Love the misting and layered heart-scroll punches on the first one, and LOVE the design and the tip with the square-punch...no more 2-scissor-cuts for me! :)

Colette Bate said...

You look beautiful in your profile photo .. but I do miss your wacky 'big sunglasses' photo. xoxo

Love this heart punch ... and your tip for using the square punch for the faux ribbons! Simple but brilliant! You and hubs look fabulous .. Little Miss N is quite the photographer!

Christie Bryant said...

Super-cute layout and it looks like a fun tutorial.
Guess your little one will always have heart-shaped balloons floating in the air on her birthday!
xoxo

Belinda said...

So cute! Love the fun banners you created!