Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Color Room 47

The parent-teacher conference came and went. I am still wondering where she fits into the landscape of academia.  Of course, it's a different scene from how I grew up.  People were measured against each other. I always knew where I stood in terms of academic performance, it's posted on the blackboard at all times as a constant reminder.  For some, it's the board of glory, for others, ever the shame.
"As you know, she is very chatty..."  I heard First Born's teacher telling us.  As quickly as I became upset with my child, I had a major DEJA VU.  The last time I heard that particular criticism... I was the student.  My teacher and parents gave me those disapproving looks.  Yep, ever the shortcoming that plagued me so...  "If only JJ could focus more, she would do so much better!"  Ah yes, ever that fine line between A and A-, focus... and stop talking! 

I never did stop talking, but I did find that singular focus, however that's for another day and another layout, one that I hope I can share soon.  Meanwhile...

Let this Color Room palette blow your mind as it did mine! I have Midnight Rooster's November Main Kit Whippoorwill to thank for the pairing of the Studio Calico arrow paper and the Basic Grey Wander paper.  It is a killer combo, so striking!  There is a first time for everything, yes, indeed a double pager for a Color Room layout.  And for me, it's my chef d'oeuvre for the moment. I personally love this one to pieces!

That serendipidous conference at Philadelphia brought me together with Aubree and Michelle.  They are my ever supportive scrapbooking cohorts, always there to celebrate my small victories and to snap me out of my "woe is me" state.  To my ridiculous sine wave of scrapbooking emotions, they are my f(x) = c.  To you, my friends, and because you first looked for me by my shoes...

24 comments:

Pearl said...

oh my ! you lost me there are the sine curves , baby ! lol

yes ! a most striking color combo here ! fab take for sure !

& hey ! take it easy with the First Child loving to talk remark from the teacher - I really wouldnt worry too much at this age ! lol

Keri said...

Hee, I can relate BOTH with my childhood and my FirstBorn's personality as well!

Indeed I love that stunning new TCR palette...great using-up of that November kit also! Love the 2-pager, great photo choice with the palette.

Alice Wertz said...

hey! what's math thing-y there on your blog? did you sneeze? LOL! i am soooo confused.... =) amazing layout, Jing-Jing! love that color palette, too! i think your first born will turn out as brilliant as you! =)

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Love the story about your daughter, and you... I also and the oldest child and got in trouble for my chattyness..

And guess who has a minor in math and computer science? Yep.. little ol me... so lovin' the sine.

Heres' my favorite ditty:
E to the x, dx, dx,
E to the x, dx, dx.
Secant, tangent, cosine, sine.
3.14159.

xo!

sweet craf-tea chick said...

gorgeous gorgeous layout, JJ! it's so very amazing and i could just stare at all the details and those wonderful photos!
oo, you're taking me back to college math course ;p'. i liked the first two calc classes the best, but i forget a lot!
thanks for sharing and hope you have a lovely friday and weekend! *hugs* steph :)

Tracy said...

Now this is a fun colour combo. What a fun layout.
The teachers were always saying my girls were to quiet.
You can never please them teachers, teehee.

alexandra s.m. said...

Argh....I hope you don't worry too much Jing-Jing!
Love your double-spread ;-)

Jocelyn said...

OHHHHHHHHHHh what great colors and the LO is just stunning!!! LOVE IT!!!

Like mother like daughter...and don't worry about the little one and her talking!!!! All be fine!!!

Wishing you a great day sweet friend!!!

Karen B. said...

Glad to hear things went ok! Your layout and bright and fun, and oh so clean!

deana said...

So funny...she's just like you...wildly creative, very smart and loves to chat! Hope to meet her some day!

That page is fantastic! Love that design and Really love the little pops of red you added! Beautiful!

PS...when I was little the teachers would say to my mom, "She's so quiet. I really wish she'd participate more.". LOL... Guess that changed! ;-)

Aubree said...

Actually we first looked for a woman wielding an ax but finding none, we defaulted to shoes. :) If we hadn't found you that way, our next course of action was to look for the "chatty one" -- LOL. You can't fault your dd for taking after you......

This layout is just another example of your versatility as a scrapbooker. I love the color scheme and the perfect placement of each and every chipboard accent!

Nadhrah Maidin said...

I love what you did. U did well with the combo colors. Its really eye catching!

Charlene said...

LOVE the color combo! And the punch above the page :-)

Your sweet little girl will be wonderful just like her mom :-) When I was little I was in trouble for talking ALL THE time!!! I grew out of it for the most part (Wink)

Christie Bryant said...

What an amazing layout! LOVE the color combo!

How fun that you have a daughter so like you - I'm sure she is just as brilliant and creative too!

xoxo

Jennifer Larson said...

What a brilliant LO--I love it! And "I never did stop talking..." LOL!

Tanya Tahir said...

oooh wow, oh wow! This page is just stunning, what an awesome palette. I have to give this one a go I think! hehe and I really can't picture you being chatty...no really....I can't *giggle* ;)

Emily Leiphart said...

OMGosh, that first paragraph about the disapproving looks just reminded me of the book 'Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother'. Have you heard of it? :)

I love those colours and your layout is amazing. I actually recognize the papers (coming from someone who's shy about using patterned paper LOL)!

jamie said...

re: First Born's 'chatty-ness'::we teach them to walk and talk. Then we send them to school and tell them to sit down and shut up? Go figure. No wonder they are confused.

Mandie said...

omg! i loathe parent teacher conferences. my daughter's... always fabulous. my son. he's 6 & not really "into" school yet. he still wants to play! UGH.


love the layout! love that color combo!

Debbi Tehrani said...

You are rocking the two-pagers! Fantastic job with the colors!

Keshet said...

Oooh, love the two pager!

teacher jessy said...

That is brilliant 2 pager... my goodness the colors are just so beautifully matched! Gosh I still do not have the courage to do 2 :)

Nathalie said...

J'adore, j'adore, j'adore!!! Vraiment tout me plait sur cette double page! Trop belle!

Belinda said...

Heh, I didn't get in trouble for chatting... I was the one that didn't talk much because I was embarrassed and when I "raised" my hand, I looked like I was scratching my head. Heh. Be glad she talks lots. :) Love the fun layout -- the colors are just fab!