Saturday, November 27, 2010

Brightly Yours at the Color Room

This week's palette at the Color Room is bright and fabulous :)  I have a lot of stuff in my stash in these colors :)  These color challenges are really good for my personal stash reduction. 
I am still very much in love with the new Martha Stewart deep edge punches.  I actually punched the green cardstock just to see how it looks and got tired of it sitting on my desk so I used it on this layout even thought the green isn't exactly the shade of bright this palette calls for. 
I stamped the "inspired by - caged bird" stamp onto a sheet of thick Hambly transparency with Staz-on Ink and then cut out the cage.  I like it this way because it has that "real birdcage" look by being transparent, I can "hang" it anywhere on a page. 
I did a little video on making the background paper, you can check it out at the Shimmerz education team blog.  I clustered some Prima flowers with some handmade flowers from patterned paper using an MFT die-namics die: rolled rose. I love that die as it makes rosette making extremely easy!! 
This was not my first attempt at this palette.  In fact, six months ago, I did a layout with this palette when Lydell first put the colors together for the palette.  As the time neared to the actual release of the palette, I just couldn't send this to her because it is just a bit too square and too boring, lol.  However, this is a true scrapbook page as I had recorded a specific memory about our cherries that all died prematurely thanks to a spring frost :)  So it isn't all bad :)  I even put some symbolism into my page... see the cherries in the heaven in the sky?  LOL!!!
Well, that's it from me for now, I hope you stop by the Color Room and try out this fun and bright palette!  Have a great weekend everyone!

27 comments:

Nathalie said...

WOW Jing-Jing!!! Je suis presque tombé de ma chaise ta page est tellement belle!!! Et le truc de la cage est trop fort!!! Tu pourrais même les vendre sur Etsy!!!!

sweet craf-tea chick said...

wonderful LO, JJ! love the beautiful edge! wowee! and i love that birdcage, it does look real! such pretty flowers. thanks for sharing and have a great rest of your weekend! *hugs* steph :)

Sandi Cl~ said...

Hi, J-J! Love your LO .. those flowers are just fabulous and love your background! I also think the LO you did first is a winner in my book .. very classic! Love the cherries in the clouds LOL

Jennifer Larson said...

Oh, I love square and boring! It's so sweet (pun intended). Loved this palette.

Alia said...

You rocked the palette with BOTH of your LOs! Loving your use of the MS punch and I must say your family has to be so healthy as I've seen so many lovely LOs you have created of family with FRUIT!! :-)

Tracy said...

I am giggling at your cherry heaven LOL.
I love both of your layouts here.
You amaze me with these challenges.

Pearl said...

wow ! those rolled roses are nicerthan the Sizzix ones I say !!! cute !cute ! & fab effect with the transparent birdcage ! LOVE !!!

& nothing wrong either with the original layout you created , for sure ! stash reduction still ! yay!!!

Virginia L. said...

You make the colors SING!! Simply awesome! Love the flower details and stamping of the bird cage! Great stash reducion--hoarding does has its advantages (LOL)!

Alice Wertz said...

that punched background looks amazing on the first layout, Jing-Jing! wow! i think both of them are beautiful! love how you used those colors!

alexandra s.m. said...

Excellent!! Moi je te trouve toujours aussi ingénieuse!
BRAVO ;-)

Sue said...

Ooh! Now i've got to get me that MS deep punch.

Jocelyn said...

OH JJ....love this one!!!!! The colors are Fabulous and I adore the flowers!!!! You are so super talented!!!

Wishing you a great one!!!

Keshet said...

LOVE these, wow!

deana said...

Both pages are gorgeous and the 2nd page is anything but boring! Love the cherries in Heaven! LOL!

Lori Gentile said...

Gorgeous layouts!!! They are both really wonderful!

Julie said...

awesome girl!!! that first page rocks!!!!

Janine Rachau said...

I love those colors, awesome!

Angie... by the said...

hi Jing Jing! Just wanted to say hello and that I love your layouts, as always. Love the handmade flowers, too. Wow. Hope you and your wonderful family are all well and happy! Hugs! Stop by and visit when you have time. ♥

Courtney said...

love these colors. and those cherries in the clouds are way too cute!!

ruth said...

I love them both! I don't think the second one is too square at all...I love it!

teacher jessy said...

Such beautiful layouts! I love the birdcage and I have been enjoying stamping on transparency! U worked the colors so well :)

Aubree said...

Beautiful pages! I disagree that the "original" was too square. I love it!
Looking forward to seeing how you made the background page on the first layout.

Larajc said...

very pretty color combo! Great layouts!

Barb P said...

Those colors are fantastic and I love, love, LOVE your layouts! The "symbolism" on the cherry layout is a nice touch

Christie Bryant said...

I can't believe what you did with that punch!!! Amazing!!!

Belinda said...

Both of these pages are lovely! Hmm, the second one isn't too square... I think it's quite fun. :)

Tanya Tahir said...

such stunning pages JJ!!! You work wonders with colour! I just realised that I never got back to your question about my rolled flowers. Yep, I use a die. It's a MFT die-namics rolled flower die :)