Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lights, Camera, Travel!

When it comes to trends, I am currently and forever will be in love with all the motifs having to do with cameras, negatives, travel, maps etc.  I can think of several lines such as BoBunny's Mama razzi, Studio Calico's Documentary, Jillibean Soup's Pasta Fagioli, Basic Grey's Wander, etc.  

One day, I just thought to myself, I really want to get that negative look, is there something in my punch stash that could sort of do the trick?  So I went a-searching...   Lo and behold, what did I find but this EK Success punch?!  It's perfect for what I was hoping to get!  So here is a quick 3-step pictorial tutorial on how to get the negative strip look :)  Indeed, it does require this particular EK success punch and FTC can rest easy, I am just a happy customer who bought the punch with my own money :) 
Here is a layout using WIP's October kit where I incorporated my new found negative look, lol.  Coming up with this little idea is one of the reasons that I am in love with this layout. Fabulous, isn't it?  LOL.  Oh yes, I am mightily pleased with myself right about now :)

24 comments:

teacher jessy said...

Oh mine!! You are such a clever woman!! Love that you can turn a simple looking edge border into a film strip. How awesome!! I wonder if I have the patient to paste the tiny pieces. LOL!! Thanks for the tips :)

Sue said...

This is amazingly clever Jing-Jing! I see sales of this punch going up. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Alia said...

BRILLIANT!!!! Trying this ASAP! :)

Alice Wertz said...

you are a genius, girl. genius. LOVE the negative effect. wonderful layout, too!

Fryne said...

so cool!!! TFS

Jocelyn said...

Oh what a great idea...You are a GENIUS!!!!

Love the LO and now I have to try this out!!!

Have a great one!!!

kathie said...

Well aren't you a clever chook! I'm always learning something from you JJ!

Virginia L. said...

What a GENIUS! Love the film strip and the LO is just amazing! I'm mighty pleased with you right now as well :)

Keri said...

It's called genius, my dear. :) :) :)
I am reaching for my punch with my left hand while typing this, ready to TRY IT as soon as I'm done leaving you this love!
Love the LO too, great tilted lines and layered borders...inspires me to bust out my HUNDREDS of yellowstone photos and get to work!

Pearl said...

ooooo ! then I shouldn't have bought the Tim Holtz film strip ribbon ! I should have bought that punch ! lol !
Brilliant ! brilliant ! ;)

Hope the cruise is everything you imagined it to be & more !

Angela said...

You flippin' rock!! love it and NEVER would have thought of this...awesome creativity...

sillypea said...

Brilliant!

deana said...

Absolutely GENIUS! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! The page is amazing! I am SO going to be using this idea with my border punch! You ROCK! :-)

Pearl said...

woot ! woot ! woot ! Ms Nichol !!!!!!!!!!!!


http://helmarusa.typepad.com/blog/2010/10/announcing-the-2010-2011-helmar-usaaus-design-team.html

lol !!!!! very happy for you , hun !!!

Larajc said...

It is a great technique, isn't it?! Thanks for sharing!

Patti Smith said...

You never cease to amaze me....so clever....love the layout and I'm gonna have to use that title drive by shooting....love it!! :)

Michelle Lanning said...

What a great tip Jing-Jing!! Will definitely be using that one!

Lydell said...

Yohoo for you JJ!!!! Helmar here we come! Congratulations!!!!!
(Great idea with that filmstrip!!!! I never would have thought of that!)
I am assuming you are back??????

Belinda said...

So so so cool! What a great idea! Love the look!

Tanya Tahir said...

This is pure genious! You are sooo clever! I wish I had an ounce of your creativity!! What a cool tutorial, thanks :)

Courtney said...

you are just too freakin' clever!

Christie Bryant said...

What a great layout Miss Jing-Jing! And you are very clever!

Arlene said...

Fantastic look with that punch.... I think I have it and I'm going to practice to make something comparable to what you've done. So great to find out something very useful for a gadget you really haven't used much. Thank you.

Keianna said...

This is a great idea, TFS.