Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Turning a New Leaf

As the end of summer approaches, it's time to scrap a memory or two about summer that does not involve the kids :)  I used the Work in Progress September kit for this layout. Trish put together yet another well-coordinated kit, not to mention it contains the brand new Cosmo Togetherness!  I used a set of stamps Clearly Sentimental about Gardens from My Favorite Things for the journaling spots.

Nothing says "summer" to me like garden fresh vegetables.  When this basket showed up on my kitchen counter, I knew the good time has finally arrived.  We grew raddishes for the first time this year, and by the way, that is a non-royal "we", as in I'm-not-involved, lol.  They were delicious, as is everything fresh from the garden.  They taste just a bit earthier and healthier to me.
I started this layout while scrapbooking with Christine. Here is my scrapbooking confession... When it comes down to it, a lot of times, I am a slacker. You've heard me say this before: good enough and moving on... Believe me, I know that on a 12x12 sheet of paper, every little detail counts. Some of my more favorite projects involved me paying and delivering some detailed work.  I just, don't, always, want to, deal, with, details...  Lydell has pointed this out to me many times, and now I've heard the same message from Christine. Therefore, I'm putting aside my lazy slacking ways. I'm buckling down and focusing more on details. I start with this page... Those butterflies wouldn't have gotten punched out last week. Had they been punched out, they would not have been inked. Had they been inked, they would have been popped out with 3-d foam squares... But I'm doing it from now on, I'm stepping up my game... and I hope it will show...

28 comments:

Sue said...

I like 'em punched out and inked butterflies Jing-Jing. :) I love details.

alexandra s.m. said...

Love that page et aussi ton écriture, si jolie et régulière! ;-)

Monique said...

Love this LO... and those veggies look so yummy!!

teacher jessy said...

Yummo layout! It's so cool to have a veggie garden, makes me wanna take a bite now! So cool u gotta scrap with Christine :)

Sarah Mullanix said...

love this...so summery and gotta love the Cosmo!!! :)

MrsETaylor said...

Jing Jing, your work is always so darn inspirational. LOVE IT!!!

Aubree said...

I'm with you, I don't always go the extra mile. But Lydell and Christine are right, it does make a difference in the end! Love the details on this one!

Jennifer Larson said...

Absolutely adorable! Make me want to eat radishes!

deana said...

Awesome! Love all the details, especially the popped up circles. At first glance I thought they looked like the AC Flair Badges... very CUTE!

Keri said...

I love your work no matter WHAT, heh...but I do have to say that the inked, pop-dotted, punches butterflies DO look great on this garden-fresh page! :) :) You rock, Jing-Jing. :)

Debbie said...

You go girl! I have to agree that there is nothing better then fresh grown veggies. A lot of work but worth it! Lovely detailed layout! Love the butterflies along the bottom!

Virginia L. said...

What do you mean, details...? This page ( all of yours) has tons! The colors, the pop-up dimensions and the LO...what more does one want? Those photo speak volumnes!I sometimes just love a page that's not "overly" done! So..cut yourself (and myself) some slack-heehee!

Sandi Cl~ said...

Wonderful .. and for the record I love your style! It's clean and original!

Kathy Martin said...

Yum radishes! I could eat a bowl full! :) I used to grow them in my garden...they were the first to sprout in just four days! Love your page and that it's about the little things in life! :)

Pearl said...

ooooo ! i so hear you on adding more details !!! I am so a slacker too especially this year ! sigh !

yummy garden grown radishes there !!
great colors together with this layout !

jazsutra said...

always love your gorgeous details on the page that always tell your story well. the photos is rich in colour.i like that! i want to go farming at your place one day....wish we could meet one day my friend ;)
have a blessed wednesday JJ!
love,jaz

Courtney said...

Love the details!

Larajc said...

wonderful layout...I love the little details!

Keshka said...

LOVE this layout! I can't wait to get my hands on some Togetherness!

liana suwandi said...

i see all the details here, lovely page JJ!

Susan Stringfellow said...

YEA! Foam squares! LOL! Yes, I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing what you create with the new focus because I just love your already but I am a lover of details. Beautiful photo and I am quite jealous of your garden because ours is long gone - just too hot.

Christie Bryant said...

How fun that you're stepping up your game, girl - you're so totally cute.
I love your layout!

Patti Smith said...

Well I have never thought your layouts lacked details....but details are a good thing and I'm guilty as well...love, love this. It has been a hot summer in Tennessee but I hate to see it go away...love summer but I love fall too!!!

Alice Wertz said...

love me some yummy vegetables!! really fun layout, Jing-Jing! LOVE the details!! =)

Stacey Michaud said...

You are cute...I always adored your stuff! I do love the little details on this though...excited to see more to come!

Colette Bate said...

I LOVE details ... and the luxury of the abundance of time that it takes to create details! You're getting great and valuable advice from fellow scrappers. So, go forth with the attention to detail and embrace it!

BUT ... and here's the big BUTT ... all the details and all the techniques in the world will not substitute for the heart ... the love ... the preservation of the story that your scrapping represents. I could name names ... you KNOW who they are ... of scrappers who create the most beautiful, intricate, detailed works of 12 x 12 art ... of beautiful pages that no one cares about after the first glance.

Kicking up your scrapping to 'the next' level ... adding some details ... it's the natural progression of your 'art'. But, please don't ever forget that the story you are preserving for your family has always been and should always be the FOCUS of your pages. It's your pictures, your way with color and pattern, and your humor and love that sets you apart from the masses. The details ... cute .. but not as important as your story. :D xoxoxo

carole-ish said...

see, now i have this very same paper...has it occurred to me to punch out & ink & pop up those little butterflies?? it has not!!
see how much i need you, j-j?? ;)

Alicia Barry said...

Hi, just thought I would pop over and say Hi before we start on the Best Creations team together. Look forward to getting to know you better, your work is awesome.